• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Netherland dwarf health issues ?

Zoe99

New Kit
Hi I've had mini lion lops (max 2kg) and thinking of Netherland dwarfs but as they are smaller wanted to know about potential health problems and how much their little bodies can take like neutering - is this more difficult and expensive more of a risk ?, Vaccination how do they take a full dose or do they get half a dose ? Same if they get GI do they get the full dose or half of the meds ? Also are they a good breed to have indoors with people and like tickles , possible to bond with lion lops ?

Hi I've had mini lion lops (max 2kg) and thinking of Netherland dwarfs but as they are smaller wanted to know about potential health problems and how much their little bodies can take like neutering - is this more difficult and expensive more of a risk ?, Vaccination how do they take a full dose or do they get half a dose ? Same if they get GI do they get the full dose or half of the meds ? Also are they a good breed to have indoors with people and like tickles , possible to bond with lion lops ?

Nethies are prone to Dental problems as are Lop Rabbits.

https://www.ufaw.org.uk/rabbits/netherland-dwarf-dental-malocclusion

Dosing for vaccinations is the same as for any breed, vaccination doses are not weight dependent and the size of the Rabbit does not make them any more or less likely to have an adverse reaction.

Other medications dose rates to treat illnesses are weight dependant- ie mg of drug/kg of Rabbit

The personality of the individual Rabbit is not always breed dependent. That said Nethies tend to be strong willed and noT always keen on being a 'hands on' type of Rabbit. They can prefer to be allowed to live as a Rabbit with humans as their observers. Regular daily handling from being a Kit can lead to a more human friendly Rabbit, but that is not always the case once puberty hits.

The GA risk for tiny Rabbits may be greater than larger breeds, but not necessarily so in the hands of a competent Rabbit Savvy Vet. If you went to a Rescue to obtain a Nethie he/she would already be neutered/vaccinated, so you would not have that to worry about. The Rescue may help you with bonding too x

Small Bunnies with large personalities! I have had many Netherlands with no dental problems and they can be quite hardy for their size.

I have 2 nethies, they definitely do not like cuddles or tickles! They have big personalities as others have said, I absolutely love them. They have a close bond with them and are they happy to be around us. However if you want a cuddly bun, I wouldn't get a Nethie. They can be quite skittish too.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I love my Raven, plus most of my past bunnies were nd, yet many had lots of energy and in recent years they had more dental issues. My Raven was listed as 'sassy' when I adopted him. I can hold him yet he is too independent for long cuddles. He would nip me if I tried to tickle him. He does not like sudden moves.

I have friends with Nethie house bunnies and they're very standoffish, very much 'I like you but on my terms'. My outdoor Nethie Charlie liked a stroke on his terms too and tolerated a bum wash in his later years, but if you picked him up and held him for more than about a minute he'd struggle to get away. He bit the vet so bad there was blood everywhere, he never bit anyone else (including the vet nurse who'd just asked if the vet needed help with the small squirmy bunny :lol:). I definitely agree with tiny bunnies with big personalities :D And the rabbit-observer relationship! I would 100% have Nethies again, they suit what we want in bunnies, but our current setup (mostly how we feed them) doesn't suit them.

Back