Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I release 3 wild 400g bunnies safely into a field and wood?

Default How can I release 3 wild 400g bunnies safely into a field and wood?

Hello - I have three baby wild rabbits approx 6 weeks old that I've looked after since they were 3 weeks. They are now weaned and each weigh just under 400g. They have been living outside in a safe cage standing on grass.

There were four rabbits until 1pm today, when we found one lying on the grass dead; I do not know what it died of Up until then they all seemed healthy and running around when not inside their box.

Nearby there is a large wood and a field and I think other groups of rabbits are living there. The wood is where we found these ones under a bonfire.

How should I put these three back into the field safely ? Will they be accepted by the others? Should I make a sort of burrow nearby the others? How much longer should I keep them in the cage ?

The entrance to the large fields is about 70m from the garden where they are currently living. There are overgrown bushes hedges where I think there are other warrens.

please help if you have advice ! I don't want to keep them longer if they become very unhappy but I also want to release them as safely as possible.

THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by LucyR View Post
    Hello - I have three baby wild rabbits approx 6 weeks old that I've looked after since they were 3 weeks. They are now weaned and each weigh just under 400g. They have been living outside in a safe cage standing on grass.

There were four rabbits until 1pm today, when we found one lying on the grass dead; I do not know what it died of Up until then they all seemed healthy and running around when not inside their box.

Nearby there is a large wood and a field and I think other groups of rabbits are living there. The wood is where we found these ones under a bonfire.

How should I put these three back into the field safely ? Will they be accepted by the others? Should I make a sort of burrow nearby the others? How much longer should I keep them in the cage ?

The entrance to the large fields is about 70m from the garden where they are currently living. There are overgrown bushes hedges where I think there are other warrens.

please help if you have advice ! I don't want to keep them longer if they become very unhappy but I also want to release them as safely as possible.

THANK YOU
    Hello, I would contact these folk for advice

https://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Warren Veteran

You can't. Wild rabbits die, very young.
    The only way to keep them safe is in your garden.
    Tim

There were 10 full grown ones in the field yesterday, they must have been young once. And the one that escaped on 27 August is still alive, I saw it this morning. So I'm not as pessimistic as you !

Quote Originally Posted by LucyR View Post
    There were 10 full grown ones in the field yesterday, they must have been young once. And the one that escaped on 27 August is still alive, I saw it this morning. So I'm not as pessimistic as you !

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

I agree I would contact the link Jane posted if you've not already done so. Or another wildlife charity if there is any nearby as they will have experience with this situation, hope it goes well they've done well so far

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Where are you, what kind of rabbits do you have there?

If UK, and this are european rabbits, I just would expand their territory and then open it, but keeping their feeding station filled up. Until they don't return anymore.

Even domestic rabbits have enough instincts left to fare pretty well in the wild. I had two escapees once, the two does adapted to living in the wild so quickly that I didn't have the heart to put them back into captivity, I met them now and then for 4 years (moved away then), they got them a wild Romeo, built warrens and had offspring. They became kind of pets at the demolition rubble recycling plant where they lived. There wasn't any trace of the domestic heritage left in the offspring.
    Last edited by Preitler; 15-09-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Preitler View Post
    Where are you, what kind of rabbits do you have there?

If UK, and this are european rabbits, I just would expand their territory and then open it, but keeping their feeding station filled up. Until they don't return anymore.

Even domestic rabbits have enough instincts left to fare pretty well in the wild. I had two escapees once, the two does adapted to living in the wild so quickly that I didn't have the heart to put them back into captivity, I met them now and then for 4 years (moved away then), they got them a wild Romeo, built warrens and had offspring. They became kind of pets at the demolition rubble recycling plant where they lived. There wasn't any trace of the domestic heritage left in the offspring.
    Sorry, but I have to post to say that no-one should release Domestic Rabbits into the wild, not ever. In the UK it would be considered to be an offence under the Animal Welfare Act, a case of ‘ abandonment’. All Rabbit Welfare organisations in the UK are 100% against releasing Pet Rabbits into the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Sorry, but I have to post to say that no-one should release Domestic Rabbits into the wild, not ever. In the UK it would be considered to be an offence under the Animal Welfare Act, a case of ‘ abandonment’. All Rabbit Welfare organisations in the UK are 100% against releasing Pet Rabbits into the wild.
    I also have to agree with IM.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

Thank you for that (sorry I thought I had posted this before).