Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I release 3 wild 400g bunnies safely into a field and wood?

That's a good story!

Thank you , and I made some progress today. Rabbit Welfare Association is good.

Quote Originally Posted by LucyR View Post
    Thank you for that (sorry I thought I had posted this before).
    We were responding to preitler’s post about releasing Domestic Pet Rabbits, we realise you are asking about Wild Rabbits

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Sorry, but I have to post to say that no-one should release Domestic Rabbits into the wild, not ever. In the UK it would be considered to be an offence under the Animal Welfare Act, a case of ‘ abandonment’. All Rabbit Welfare organisations in the UK are 100% against releasing Pet Rabbits into the wild.
    Ah, right, sorry, should have pointed out that that was a long time ago, that I tried to catch them for 3 weeks (I got 1 out of 3), and that it was in an industrial zone with few predators. I mentioned it because I don't think releasing wild rabbits back out, with other wild rabbits around anyway, is more of a problem than keeping those in captivity. The first thing bred into domestic rabbits was their ability to cope with captivity, imho wild rabbits would need a lot of space ( I know of a farmer who tried to breed wild rabbits to repopulate his land, and failed miserably)

Pets in the wild pretty soon become a snack (here, since advertising animals online mostly got restricted to commercial breeders and business and rescues (there aren't enough that take rabbits around here, have all hands full with cats and dogs) a lot of bunnys get dumped in the woods, to be never seen again. Cruel and illegal, but too little options left for many people to find new homes, shortsighted laws...) , and if there aren't predators around a feral population can start to create real problems. A recreational area here (fenced, dog free) got real problems with rabbits people released there, multiplying, digging up everything. Shooting them wasn't an option since there were always visitors around, that would have been real bad publicity. Then I heard from an employee that "something had been done about that problem", a few weeks later a myxomatosis outbreak wiped out most wild and domestic rabbits in the whole area, all but one of mine too. No way to proof that they released the myxo, but to me it looks like a suspicious coincidence, I saw a sick rabbit there before it really spread, but had no idea what I was looking at. Just because people thought that would be a nice place to dump their pets.
    Last edited by Preitler; 17-09-2020 at 08:36 AM.