• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A pet appreciation thread

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Let's see some pictures of your pets :) Obviously it's been a tough year and I'm sure lot's of us have taken comfort in our pets :love:

Earlier this week suddenly Jack became very poorly, he's had multiple vet visits and he is suffering from pancreatitis and a neck/spinal injury. I honestly thought I would lose him given how poorly he was, he's still on a lot of medication and strict rest but he is improving every day and has really rallied round :love: I am looking forward to building up his strength again and enjoying spending every moment with him. A picture from a happier time, a trip to Robin Hoods Bay at the end of June.

IMG_20200712_113206516 by Hliz, on Flickr

We also recently adopted a new guinea pig as a friend for Ellie, his name is Rocco (he's the one with spikey fur!) and it's lovely to listen to them chatting away and seeing Ellie with another piggy as she's been alone since January.

IMG_20200808_195637465 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20200808_180704565 by Hliz, on Flickr

Bigwig has mostly been behaving herself living in the kitchen and her behaviour has really settled down, she binkies everytime we go through and loves to be stroked now :D

IMG_20200819_112021832 by Hliz, on Flickr

Jake and Jasmine are doing well, they've both just had a clean bill of health from the vets which is reassuring given they're getting a bit older now.

IMG_20200809_151703281 by Hliz, on Flickr

And not to leave out my 2 giant african land snails which are about 3x the size of this now and growing well!

IMG_20200718_021615383 by Hliz, on Flickr

What a lovely Pet family you have :love: I am so sorry to hear that Jack has been very unwell but what a relief that he is responding to treatment x

Let's see some pictures of your pets :) Obviously it's been a tough year and I'm sure lot's of us have taken comfort in our pets :love:

Earlier this week suddenly Jack became very poorly, he's had multiple vet visits and he is suffering from pancreatitis and a neck/spinal injury. I honestly thought I would lose him given how poorly he was, he's still on a lot of medication and strict rest but he is improving every day and has really rallied round :love: I am looking forward to building up his strength again and enjoying spending every moment with him. A picture from a happier time, a trip to Robin Hoods Bay at the end of June.

IMG_20200712_113206516 by Hliz, on Flickr

We also recently adopted a new guinea pig as a friend for Ellie, his name is Rocco (he's the one with spikey fur!) and it's lovely to listen to them chatting away and seeing Ellie with another piggy as she's been alone since January.

IMG_20200808_195637465 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20200808_180704565 by Hliz, on Flickr

Bigwig has mostly been behaving herself living in the kitchen and her behaviour has really settled down, she binkies everytime we go through and loves to be stroked now :D

IMG_20200819_112021832 by Hliz, on Flickr

Jake and Jasmine are doing well, they've both just had a clean bill of health from the vets which is reassuring given they're getting a bit older now.

IMG_20200809_151703281 by Hliz, on Flickr

And not to leave out my 2 giant african land snails which are about 3x the size of this now and growing well!

IMG_20200718_021615383 by Hliz, on Flickr

Oooo nice snail! Are they hard to care for? What's the clean out like? [emoji38]

You have a lovely pet family [emoji7] mine are all horrors except for Penelope and Apricot who are angels [emoji38]

Rocco has amazing hair [emoji7]
Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you all :D The snails are easy to care for, they just need a tank with enough space, some safe soil/substrate they can burrow in, a source of calcium, misting every day and can eat most types of veg! I clean them out once a week ish when I think they're looking a bit dirty, just move them somewhere else then tip the tank out into the garden waste bin, give the tank a rinse and wipe and refill it :)

A wonderful thread with beautiful pictures. So happy to read Jack is feeling better than he was.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thank you all :love: Jack is doing ok, I am up and down with it, I didn't cope well at all when he was at his worst. Now I am positive one minute thinking he's come on really well, then in tears the next as he's vomited/shaking in pain again. I have got an appropriate diet sorted for his now multiple issues however after a discussion with a lovely vet nutritionist from Hills, and have made arrangements to get some physiotherapy in the next couple of weeks once he's well enough following the pancreatitis so that's some positives.

Sorry to hear about Jack being ill with pancreatitis, Liz47. It's a difficult illness to manage, even in people. Jenna and Ebon both tend towards it. The main concern is keeping them on diet and few to no treat foods. Absolutely nothing fatty. Ebon eats Hill's low fat I/D and Jenna has Purina E/N now instead of her vegetarian food that she was on for almost 7 years. It's hard to believe that vegan dog food can aggravate the condition but apparently it does. :(

It seems to hit the smaller dogs particularly hard, I don't see many larger dogs with it. Must be the "designer dog" organ size in my Yorkie. And Ebon will simply snork up anything she finds on the ground if I'm not faster than her...whether it's edible or not! :roll:

I did ask my vet why dogs can't take enzymes like people do, she just said it doesn't work in dogs. My ex, who has chronic pancreatitis and takes enzymes, was baffled and insisted that since they come from pigs they should be effective and wanted me to try them on the dogs. I wouldn't, obviously, I'll stick with the advice of a professional, but it does make one wonder why it's not a pursued therapy? You'd think it would be a lucrative avenue if something could be developed to address the acute phase quicker than current methods.

I'm sorry to hear Jack has been so poorly; I can appreciate how stressful it is but am glad he's improving.

Bobbi (Frenchie) has been going to hydrotherapy to help with her spondylosis & we've seen a real improvement in her mobility already. So much so, we're all prepared to forget the time she had a dump in the treadmill room.... [emoji23][emoji23]

Oliver and Freddie are growing like weeds. Not the best photo but you can sort of see how big Freddie is compared to our dog. Bobbi's quite a big frenchie too.

And, lastly, our chinchilla, Bubbles. She hates my guts for some reason and, if she could reach through the bars, I'm sure she would rip my throat out. [emoji23][emoji23] But she's as sweet as anything with everyone else. Maybe she's just a good judge of character. [emoji23]

We have a hammy too but no photos on my phone.
34327e57c05d2c6e869a9cd86a60143c.jpg
7d34e5681e0c7d16e36f846ab505432c.jpg
9156b506d1c4a104c06f3fc9a4c3f3c1.jpg
b54209382852760818d094955674ed86.jpg

I'm sorry to hear Jack has been so poorly; I can appreciate how stressful it is but am glad he's improving.

Bobbi (Frenchie) has been going to hydrotherapy to help with her spondylosis & we've seen a real improvement in her mobility already. So much so, we're all prepared to forget the time she had a dump in the treadmill room.... [emoji23][emoji23]

Oliver and Freddie are growing like weeds. Not the best photo but you can sort of see how big Freddie is compared to our dog. Bobbi's quite a big frenchie too.

And, lastly, our chinchilla, Bubbles. She hates my guts for some reason and, if she could reach through the bars, I'm sure she would rip my throat out. [emoji23][emoji23] But she's as sweet as anything with everyone else. Maybe she's just a good judge of character. [emoji23]

I just fell in love with Oliver and Freddie. They're so beautiful!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about Jack being ill with pancreatitis, Liz47. It's a difficult illness to manage, even in people. Jenna and Ebon both tend towards it. The main concern is keeping them on diet and few to no treat foods. Absolutely nothing fatty. Ebon eats Hill's low fat I/D and Jenna has Purina E/N now instead of her vegetarian food that she was on for almost 7 years. It's hard to believe that vegan dog food can aggravate the condition but apparently it does. :(

It seems to hit the smaller dogs particularly hard, I don't see many larger dogs with it. Must be the "designer dog" organ size in my Yorkie. And Ebon will simply snork up anything she finds on the ground if I'm not faster than her...whether it's edible or not! :roll:

I did ask my vet why dogs can't take enzymes like people do, she just said it doesn't work in dogs. My ex, who has chronic pancreatitis and takes enzymes, was baffled and insisted that since they come from pigs they should be effective and wanted me to try them on the dogs. I wouldn't, obviously, I'll stick with the advice of a professional, but it does make one wonder why it's not a pursued therapy? You'd think it would be a lucrative avenue if something could be developed to address the acute phase quicker than current methods.

Thank you xx Jack was fed human food for 10 years by his previous owner, so unfortunately that's done his pancreas no good!! Since I got him almost 4 years ago we discovered he had bladder stones so he's been fed just C/D food very strictly. Atm he's on I/D wet tins and I've ordered some dry. In hindsight over the past year his amylase and lipase, and glucose blood levels have been getting higher. I have to decide whether to keep him on I/D or change back to his urinary care C/D or use C/D plus metabolic. There's a few pros and cons to each. Yes definitely seems to be small dogs, and it's a shame there's not much treatment either! Just supportive care as you said enzymes could help!

Glad hydro is helping Bobbi, it's done Jack's arthritis loads of good! Oh dear, there's a sign at his hydro saying there's a cost for a clean up fee if your dog toilets in or around the pool :lol::lol:

Your cats faces have some brilliant expressions! :love: Bubbles is a lovely colour, Jake is a bit like that with me he doesn't like me but loves my partner.

Glad hydro is helping Bobbi, it's done Jack's arthritis loads of good! Oh dear, there's a sign at his hydro saying there's a cost for a clean up fee if your dog toilets in or around the pool [emoji38][emoji38]

Oh no, really? I'm glad ours are quite relaxed about it as she does a nervous wee in there most times too, even if she's only just been. [emoji23] The hydrotherapist even commented on how big the poo was lol... and I'd proudly announced on the way in that Bobbi had already done wees and poos a few minutes before. I should have kept my mouth shut. [emoji23][emoji23]

Oh no, really? I'm glad ours are quite relaxed about it as she does a nervous wee in there most times too, even if she's only just been. [emoji23] The hydrotherapist even commented on how big the poo was lol... and I'd proudly announced on the way in that Bobbi had already done wees and poos a few minutes before. I should have kept my mouth shut. [emoji23][emoji23]

:lol: Aww bless Bobbi, does she like it once she gets in the pool/treadmill? I think the hydrotherapist would be ok with it really, she's lovely and obviously the dogs can't help it! :lol: Jack was praised for never wee'ing at work when a lot of the other staff dogs do just because of the smells of so many other animals, but he always tries to do a wee in pets at home have to watch him very closely and not let him near any of the displays :lol:

Ohhhh myyy...Oliver's coat...I've never seen the like. Could we get a solo shot of him, please? He is beautiful! :love:
Wow, Freddie is hyoooge! :shock: My ex's gf has a Frenchie, whom I'd expected was Jenna's size, and he's massive! I can't get my head around Freddie's shear length! :shock:

Ah yes, feeding dogs table scraps. Has anyone here seen the online comic Simon's Cat? He did a one shot called Simon's Sister's Dog as a PA on the dangers of giving dogs food from holiday tables one Christmas. It makes me think of Ebon, the living Hoover. :roll:

That said, if you can homecook specifically for your pets, that's sometimes better for them. I used to cook for Jenna, but when she got vasculitis in 2013 (due to tainted dog treats, not my cooking) I had to put her on the vegan food. I'm surprised she's been able to tolerate meat based dog food for the last year. Then again, part of me wonders if it didn't accelerate her blindness. :(

Back