• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been a While

Today's date before virtual dnd night. Just over an hour.

Didn't go wonderfully. Quite a few scuffles with no actual resolution.

Rodney spent much time in a corner after being nipped back. Almost sulking I think but very stressed.

He finds being ushered into the neutral area or being handled stressful. He settled a bit but as soon as they have their first spat he won't relax.

Blossom watches him for a bit after then merrily munches away at the floor of hay and forage.

We're thinking of trying to set up a cage somewhere else and watching them constantly instead of little dates. Just need to clear some room.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Avoiding one another is normal as it takes time for trust to develop. Good luck - you are nearly there.

Well that was absolutely awful.

Tried a new neutral area by descenting the lounge and putting clean lino down.

They had several scuffles initially.

Then a massive fight, there was a squeal so we separated and checked them both over. It's my fault I was a bit slow getting to them which I feel awful about. Sometimes I wonder how good a bun mum I am.

Both have lots of tufts missing but no obvious injuries. They were terribly stressed so we've separated them again and blocked their sight of each other which I know is wrong and that we should let them end on a positive but there was literally nothing positive about it [emoji24]

It devolved into circling and at one point Blossom was so upset she was boxing at hubby holding the towel to separate them with.

I'm so miserable I just don't know what to do now. I'm so bad at knowing when to intervene.

The rescue do bonding but they're almost two hours away and Rodney hates car travel so much.

Any suggestions please?

Well that was absolutely awful.

Tried a new neutral area by descenting the lounge and putting clean lino down.

They had several scuffles initially.

Then a massive fight, there was a squeal so we separated and checked them both over. It's my fault I was a bit slow getting to them which I feel awful about. Sometimes I wonder how good a bun mum I am.

Both have lots of tufts missing but no obvious injuries. They were terribly stressed so we've separated them again and blocked their sight of each other which I know is wrong and that we should let them end on a positive but there was literally nothing positive about it [emoji24]

It devolved into circling and at one point Blossom was so upset she was boxing at hubby holding the towel to separate them with.

I'm so miserable I just don't know what to do now. I'm so bad at knowing when to intervene.

The rescue do bonding but they're almost two hours away and Rodney hates car travel so much.

Any suggestions please?

I'm sorry that this has happened :( I really wouldn't beat yourself up about getting to them in time. It all seems to happen so fast. Bonding is not an exact science. It's difficult and usually stressful for the person bonding.

If I were you now I would return to where you had them last. Their relationship is still fairly fragile and it's often the case when bonding that a change of location will cause problems. Best to keep them in one place and get them stable there and not to rush to move them somewhere else.

I'm really sorry you've had a set back with the bonding:(

Please don't be hard on yourself. Bonding is tough because it can be so difficult to read their interactions. Plus, when they kick off it can happen so quickly you just don't have time to react fast enough.

I know it's hard to find positives at the moment. But bunnies do bond or rebond successfully after a fight so don't lose hope that this can work. This is also the first major bust up they've had. Up until now they've been doing ok, which suggests to me they don't hate each other and therefore I think it's still feasible they can bond.

In your position, I would probably give the bonding a break for a few days to give them some time to settle. Then, when trying again I would go for the fast bond method. I.e. keep them together all the time with someone close by ready to intervene. I know it's probably not a very appealing prospect at the moment, but it might work better if you can power through the difficult first stage.

If all else fails, the other option is the bonding place. If you go that route, I would advise them that Rodney is a very nervous traveller and to give him a day or so to settle before attempting the bond. Otherwise I think he'll be too wound up for the bonding sessions to work.

Good luck, I hope they recover from this blip and go on to have a successful bond.

Thanks guys.

I'm ordering a completely new pen and gonna try and squeeze it into the kitchen where it was working with just the scuffles.

The only plus side of today is that Blossom and I had some lovely cuddles while she calmed down.

It was the squeal that terrified me. He'd managed to get her almost on her back by the time I got there.

I was thinking of trying just a min together at the same time every day. Rodney is a creature of routine bless him. Or maybe some more time living side by side and swapping.

It's so hard to work out what might work.

I am sorry that they have had a nasty scuffle. I would check them both over again this morning as sometimes it is easy to miss fresh wounds, especially puncture wounds. After about 12 hours any damaged tissue will have hardened up and it will be easier to feel. Hope they are both OK x

Have checked them over again this morning. Thanks for the tip.

Can't find any wounds on either although both are very displeased in general.

Rodney peed in his water bowl and they've both left poop along their boundary line.

And Blossom just attempted to pee on him but we have clear plastic panels.

Given the rage levels we're thinking a break might be best.

I am still worried by that squeal though.

I've never heard one before and I must admit I was expecting a terrible injury and a racing trip to the vets.

I'm still not sure which it was but I think Blossom is likely as Rodney does a sort of grunt when displeased usually.

Could it be because he'd managed to get her on her back briefly and she was scared?

By the time I grabbed her she'd regained her footing and was about to go for him again.

I am still worried by that squeal though.

I've never heard one before and I must admit I was expecting a terrible injury and a racing trip to the vets.

I'm still not sure which it was but I think Blossom is likely as Rodney does a sort of grunt when displeased usually.

Could it be because he'd managed to get her on her back briefly and she was scared?

By the time I grabbed her she'd regained her footing and was about to go for him again.

Screams occur due to either terror or severe pain, or both

I've booked them some health checks for tonorrow just in case. In separate carriers.

Although Blossom had one before she left the rescue I didnt get any details on that.

Rodney is due a check for his teeth and i was waiting for bonding as he wasnt showing any signs of problems.

It'll reassure me and hubby will clean up some of the mess their rage has created today while neither of them are there to nibble at his feet while he does it.

And maybe coming home smelling different might help with a fresh start possibly.

I've booked them some health checks for tonorrow just in case. In separate carriers.

Although Blossom had one before she left the rescue I didnt get any details on that.

Rodney is due a check for his teeth and i was waiting for bonding as he wasnt showing any signs of problems.

It'll reassure me and hubby will clean up some of the mess their rage has created today while neither of them are there to nibble at his feet while he does it.

And maybe coming home smelling different might help with a fresh start possibly.

This sounds a good plan :thumb:

I agree that a rabbit's scream is really horrible. Before I bonded my buck with his current partner, I attempted to bond him to a quad. One of the bucks from the quad was aggressive towards him and charged, which caused my buck to scream. I think that was due to him being terrified. I agree with Jane though it can also be due to pain.

No serious injuries luckily. Rodney has a cut lip and is very stressed.

And the vet thinks Blossom is a Ehlers Danlos carrier as her skin is very stretchy and she's double jointed. I thought she just had slightly odd toes!

So we're resetting to the beginning to reduce Rodney's stress levels and wait until he's ready again in a month or so.

No serious injuries luckily. Rodney has a cut lip and is very stressed.

And the vet thinks Blossom is a Ehlers Danlos carrier as her skin is very stretchy and she's double jointed. I thought she just had slightly odd toes!

So we're resetting to the beginning to reduce Rodney's stress levels and wait until he's ready again in a month or so.

Sounds like a good plan, give you all a bit of breathing space xx

Yes it's been an education! As buns always are bless them.

The vet thinks she likely is a genetic carrier of it with some symptoms. She has stretchy skin and the double joints. But her skin didnt seem to be too fragile although we were warned any injuries/operations would heal slower than a usual bun.

She did say most kits with the full set of genes and symptoms would be put to sleep or not survive.

It explains her massive dewlap as well as her skin stretches out more around it.

I've let the rescue know in case she's come from a breeding situation as I dont know her history. I honestly thought she just had toes that were really long!

Back