• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit trashing her cage????

Zoe99

New Kit
Any ideas ? Suddenly my inside female neutered rabbit has taken to digging up her cage in particular her poop area which consists of fleece , newspaper, shredded paper. She can do this at any time and regardless if freshly cleaned or dirty. She can do it with me there or not so I don't think it's an attention thing. She will stop if I tell her NO. But I don't want to keep telling her this and rather find out the cause. She was never a nest builder before being neutered 6 months ago and it's not a nest it's just a mess ! She also has cardboard box and tunnel play pen outside her cage which she has been trashing that I don't mind and don't tell her NO as that's what it is for. I trimmed her nails yesterday hoping to stop the digging up incase she has been trying to wear down her nails ? Any ideas?

Has she got lots of hay to munch on? They like hay in the litter tray so they can chew while they pooh! It could also be because she needs a friend as females can become very lonely and finally, does she have time out of the cage regularly?

Has she got lots of hay to munch on? They like hay in the litter tray so they can chew while they pooh! It could also be because she needs a friend as females can become very lonely and finally, does she have time out of the cage regularly?

I agree with this. I find giving lots of hay over 2 different litter trays and feeding apple branches means they have lots of options.

Yes that's where the hay goes so she can munch and poop. She is a house rabbit with a big 2 level house cage shut at night time but free during the day with me she has access to sunlight if she choses- I'm at home day and night and have trained her for commands. I have a baby gate well rabbit gate for the living room where the cage is. She has regular nap times and goes back in the cage for these. Otherwise she follows me and jumps up on the sofa licks my head and nose so we are bonded and she helps me with Pilates! So there is goat yoga and rabbit pilates lol

she might benefit from a dig box! rabbits love to dig and it might be her wanting to full fill that instinct. a deep box filled with soil (some even use sand) might be an idea.

have you considered getting a friend for her? the digging might also be like you said, wanting attention. rabbits are super social animals and are quite depressed when housed alone. her digging might be her way of telling you something is wrong. human interaction just doesn't make up, as we can't spend 24/7 with them, and often have our own things to do

Back