• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do people have on the roof of their runs?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
I'm having a shed/run combo made and I can't decide how I want the run roof! Where it's situated doesnt get any sun until the afternoon so I'm worried about the run being quite dark and not really feeling natural like they're outside if I put a proper felt roof on it. Generally my rabbits dont seem fussed about being in the sun or the rain so I wondered about having something clear and removable on the roof like a clear tarp or corrugated sheeting, or maybe not putting anything completely waterproof on the top and just having some fake ivy or something for shade. There will be a very long shelf in the run which will provide a bit of shade/weatherproofing and they will always have access to their shed. They spend a lot of their time free range in the garden currently and it's not very often they go inside their hutch or try hide so I dont think having an open/clear roof would bother them

My girls have got a corrugated roof, but it doesn't fit directly on top, its kinda sloped so has a small gap at the back, leading to bigger gap at the front. (Difficult to explain, sorry).

The reason for this is that they are directly under a few overhanging trees so its to prevent all the bird faeces, squirrels dropping things, falling branches etc.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

We have used heavy duty tarp which slopes so rain falls off. But Stanley spends most of his day out of his hutch and run combo. He's only ever locked in when we're not home which isn't often due to furlough and i study from home or at night but my partner wants to make a walk in aviary type thing for them next year.

The tarp just prevents rain in the run when he's locked in as he loves being outside and will sit stupidly until he's soaking wet and I end up towel drying him lol (sure he does it for the attention)
a06814af5aad4876212c7b48798f509a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

We have used heavy duty tarp which slopes so rain falls off. But Stanley spends most of his day out of his hutch and run combo. He's only ever locked in when we're not home which isn't often due to furlough and i study from home or at night but my partner wants to make a walk in aviary type thing for them next year.

The tarp just prevents rain in the run when he's locked in as he loves being outside and will sit stupidly until he's soaking wet and I end up towel drying him lol (sure he does it for the attention)
a06814af5aad4876212c7b48798f509a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Where did you get the hutch from, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the ideas!

Talking about you only a few days ago, well about your thrianta bunnies. How are they ?
They're good thank you! Had a bit of a poorly elmo a few months back and unfortunately he had to be separated from the other two and the bond broke down but they're all back together now. It's taken a lot longer than I'd hoped but I'm really excited about getting them the big shed/run set up they deserve

Where did you get the hutch from, if you don't mind me asking?
I believe it's this one https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/maple-manor-hutch-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs (I have the same), really good idea swapping the panels around though, I never thought of that

We've given up on our tarp over the run: it got windy and the little :censored: darlings would just sit in the rain anyway. Gives us more feeding opporunities.

If we had a massive shed & aviary, I'd probably go with clear corrugated panels, but if the bunnies can reach up towards to roof (even if it's not all the way), I'd stick with mesh so we can offer them hanging food opportunities (any excuse to show the Carrot Dance video XD) https://www.facebook.com/keletkezes/videos/10102245577747988

Back