• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drying forage

BunnyMomx2

Young Bun
Hey

We have access to so much bramble and willow and Hawthorn I thought about drying it out as heard lots of people do this however I wouldn't known where to begin.

Any tips??

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I've dried wild raspberry leaves for my bun. I lay them on baking trays, into oven for 15mins on 150 fan, then turn oven off and leave them in there till it cools. Always a good idea to check them halfway through, as ovens vary. When dry, cool and crispy, I store in empty cereal boxes, with a couple of holes in them, and leave them in the airing cupboard :D

I've dried wild raspberry leaves for my bun. I lay them on baking trays, into oven for 15mins on 150 fan, then turn oven off and leave them in there till it cools. Always a good idea to check them halfway through, as ovens vary. When dry, cool and crispy, I store in empty cereal boxes, with a couple of holes in them, and leave them in the airing cupboard :D
I like the cereal box idea. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Willow and hawthorn would be OK hung up in small bunches somewhere dry and airy (shed, garage, conservatory, etc). Store somewhere cool & dry in card boxes (cereal boxes are good) or strong paper bags. Check periodically and rorate tem so they stay dry. Dispose of any thatb develop mould.

Leaves can be stored the same way, but dry in a thin layer - I use the top of a run over a couple of sunny days. A spare mesh panel is useful to stop them blowing around. Dandelions are harder to dry properly, but the higher fibre leaves such as apple, bramble, willow, etc dry well.

Don't forget to label everything wih the type of forage and date.

Back