• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby rabbits falling out of the nest box

Loopylou55

New Kit
My Doe had a litter of 4 on Tuesday evening. This was a surprise litter so she did not have a nest box but made her own nest in the closed part of her hut. She is an outdoor rabbit and initially I was worried about the cold (I still am) so I made a nesting box and put her nest and babies inside. That evening when I checked she had pulled the nest outside the box along with the babies. I removed the box and added extra padding to her nest so the babies would keep warm. She has been a really attentive mum and the babies are well fed. I went to check on the yesterday evening and I could only find 3. I searched the cage and found one on the floor downstairs in the run. She had put fur over it but it was freezing. I took it inside and warmed it up and it was fine (glad we caught it on time) this morning the same thing happened (different baby) I can only assume they are attaching when feeding and not letting go and as they are not in a nesting box they are travelling with her. I’m worried that it will happen in the night and I won’t be able to save the baby. I have an indoor cage, should I bring them all in? Would it be safer in the warm or would this upset mum too much? Or should I try a nesting box again?

Any advice would be welcome x

I wouldn't move them inside as Mum might not like it, unless you can move the whole hutch. Perhaps put lots of bedding everywhere in case this happens again, is Mum a young Mum? You could put a fleece in there as this always feels warm if a baby finds itself out of the nest.

I wouldn't move them inside as Mum might not like it, unless you can move the whole hutch. Perhaps put lots of bedding everywhere in case this happens again, is Mum a young Mum? You could put a fleece in there as this always feels warm if a baby finds itself out of the nest.

Yes she 8 months old and is a first time mum which is why I’m nervous to do something drastic in case it unsettles her. I think I will try the fleece on the floor. My husband has also built a little barrier by the opening so mum can still get in but hopefully stop anything travelling out with her.

You can put a board in front of the nest that protrodes 2-3" above the bedding, so that a latched on kit gets caught by it when the doe goes over it. Put bedding ramp-like on the outside, so that they can go more easily back in than out.

A ramp downwards is a trap for kits, I would change that somehow so that there's a 5-6" obstacle in front of it, or better close it and make a different way for the doe that first leads significantly up, or a ramp that starts from an elevated board.

Back