• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! Blood, no clear cause:

Selpmis

New Kit
Morning everyone, looking for advice, if you can offer any it would be appreciated.

I've called the vet and they've booked me in tomorrow (Tues 8th) morning. They can't see him today because the vet who is working is allergic to rabbits.

*Pics attached*

So yesterday (Sunday) morning I came down downstairs to find a pool of blood next to Bertie. I thought it might be a torn nail, he is missing a few unfortunately (another story). No clear case of where the blood has come from. He has a great appetite, hopping around, seems happy enough. The vets is closed anyway on Sundays so decided to monitor him. Seemed fine.

This morning (Monday), came downstairs, same thing again, small pool of blood. Not as much this time. Called the vet and got him in tomorrow. Checked his nails, doesn't appear to have lost any more. No signs of bleeding anywhere.

The reason I don't think it is urine is because he is really particular about using his litter tray only and it doesn't smell like urine.

I just wondered if anyone else has had the same experience? Bertie has just turned 9, I've had him since he was 6 months old.
2e12b43faa664b109d58f5eb3a95b449.jpg
8ee817f20b694c01e4639c2766a05621.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It does look more like urine to me. If you dip some white tissue in it, is it red or orange? Blood would be red.

Has he had some different veg / greens? It's typical of dandelions to have this effect.

Thanks for your response! I think when I cleaned it up, it was orange-y. I've attached what I think was the tissue I used to clean it up.
13272b171fe75cdfce10cb938a52d809.jpg

It does look more like urine to me. If you dip some white tissue in it, is it red or orange? Blood would be red.

Has he had some different veg / greens? It's typical of dandelions to have this effect.

I very much agree. That looks like plant pigment in urine to me.

Agree, it's bunny pee. First time I saw this colour in the litter tray when new to rabbits,I panicked.rabbit pee can vary in colour with diet.

Thanks! Just strange I've never seen this in 9 years! But then again it is really odd for him to not use his tray, if it's happened before it would be unnoticeable in his tray I guess. I'll lay off the carrot and spinach and see if it happens again. Thanks so much everyone.

Oh bless him.

Yes must admit almost had a heart attack the first time I saw this type of pee!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Yes I'm gonna keep the appointment and take him anyway. I've always got lots of questions for the vets! Thanks guys, I'm feeling a lot better.

He's a lovely bunny! I can only really add to the consensus that this looks like urine rather than blood. The only thing I would add is that if he's sudenly starting peeing outside his litter tray then I think it's worth asking the vet about the possibility he may have arthritis and he's finding it harder to jump in and out.

Back