• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I get my run ready for winter

Bunny Boo.

Warren Scout
gI9Nyyx.jpg
ZPjWdCc.jpg

Please offer some suggestions on how I can make sure my bunnies are kept warm in their run over the winter. The run is water proof and it has a cover that goes all the way round the run. They have a little dog kennel which is full of straw but I don't feel this is enough! this will be the first winter they have spent in this run without the option of going into their shed. (had to create a 'bunglow' home as the May has severe arthritis) she couldn't cope with all the ramps and runaround tunnel. I will have an electrician out as soon as possible to add me some power to the run for lights was wondering if I could add a heat lamp to a bigger hutch/playhouse??? don't want to take up to much room in the run for sleeping quarters as they obviously need as much space to move as possible. :D
I'm going to put some sort of backing to the run and to the left hand side so it doesn't feel so open, any suggestions what to use? maybe the bamboo screen fencing? if so should I put that on the inside or on the outside?
sorry for all the questions :?

Last edited:
I'd put a small playhouse or similar in there so they can get right in and away from the door which is where the draft will come in.
You could also put a cardboard box inside the dog kennel with bunny sized hole cut into it and stuffed with straw. That'll add more insulation :)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I'd put a small playhouse or similar in there so they can get right in and away from the door which is where the draft will come in.
You could also put a cardboard box inside the dog kennel with bunny sized hole cut into it and stuffed with straw. That'll add more insulation :)

Thank you for your reply, would you add a heat lamp to the playhouse? Or just fill with straw?

Thank you for your reply, would you add a heat lamp to the playhouse? Or just fill with straw?
My girls don't have a heat lamp, I've just fully insulated it.
I'm not sure if a heat lamp would be recommended, hopefully someone with experience of these could advise.

My girls don't have a heat lamp, I've just fully insulated it.
I'm not sure if a heat lamp would be recommended, hopefully someone with experience of these could advise.

Ok thank you, what sort of playhouse would you recommend? Would a large hutch work, obviously with the doors removed.

Ok thank you, what sort of playhouse would you recommend? Would a large hutch work, obviously with the doors removed.
A hutch would work, but I'd keep the doors on, and if possible make the mesh door more solid with bunny hole in it. It'll help protect against weather and make it a nice cozy cuddle space for them.

The Spike Special Dog Kennel at Zooplus is quite nice as the door is more sheltered. If Bunny is arthritic she needs more warmth but I have never had this problem so can't advise.

A hutch would work, but I'd keep the doors on, and if possible make the mesh door more solid with bunny hole in it. It'll help protect against weather and make it a nice cozy cuddle space for them.

That’s a good idea thank you 😊

The Spike Special Dog Kennel at Zooplus is quite nice as the door is more sheltered. If Bunny is arthritic she needs more warmth but I have never had this problem so can't advise.

I will have a look at your suggestion, this is what’s worrying me, she needs to be kept warm.

Also look into microwavable pods. Stick one under a blanket in the evening and it'll create a little warm spot to cuddle onto.

Also look into microwavable pods. Stick one under a blanket in the evening and it'll create a little warm spot to cuddle onto.

I have thought of these but the other two bunnies she’s with are terrible at chewing, I would be worried they would chew at it.

I have thought of these but the other two bunnies she’s with are terrible at chewing, I would be worried they would chew at it.

I remove the covers and hide them under the hay so they are much less accessible. Using 2 together rather than 1 maintains the heat better in the worst of the winter.

I use Snugglesafe heatpads - usually best prices are on Amazon, but watch out for offers. There seem to be other similar ones aroud now, but I've not seen or used them. The Snugglesafe ones last for years if not overheated in the microwave. They are quite heavy and are made of a thick plastic shell. Wrap in a sheet of newspaper if they tend to get soiled, and bury under a pile of hay overnight. They just give out gentle heat for hours. Swap over with a fresh set if you need them during the day. I tend to use them in pairs to maintain the heat output for longer.

I use Snugglesafe heatpads - usually best prices are on Amazon, but watch out for offers. There seem to be other similar ones aroud now, but I've not seen or used them. The Snugglesafe ones last for years if not overheated in the microwave. They are quite heavy and are made of a thick plastic shell. Wrap in a sheet of newspaper if they tend to get soiled, and bury under a pile of hay overnight. They just give out gentle heat for hours. Swap over with a fresh set if you need them during the day. I tend to use them in pairs to maintain the heat output for longer.

Great thank you for the reply I will have a look at them 😁

I second that.The snugglesafes are great.

I have a chewer so we pop it in a blanket and then pile the straw on top. We're indoors but he loves it during the cooler periods.

I think outside stacking two is a good plan and I'd recommend using them in the day as well. Mine seem most popular during afternoon nap time.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back