• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Liquorice (gerbil) has passed away :(

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
I hope its okay to post here since he isn’t a little bunny ? didn’t wanna clog any other chats up with my negative news.

I noticed a tumor on his stomach thursday, I had a vet appointment for monday to check it out & clip his teeth. in the mean time, he had Luna’s “special supply” to help ease any pain. I was really hoping it might buy us some more time with him.

unfortunately, it wasn’t to be. saturday my BF said he was really chewing at himself it seemed, so I grabbed him out. he split open the tumor at that point. had he not been suffering with malocclusion I think he would have made it so much worse. he did try to bite me, but it was quite blunt due to his teeth, so I guess it was a blessing in some way.

he was quite active, greeting, eating the soft foods we prepared (along with soaking some of his normal food), but he slept so much more too. the only reason we saw him out was because we had something to “offer”

I didn’t want a repeat of his brother, who was so hellbent on chewing himself he fell down the bedding and smacked into the glass. that was really distressing to see, and quite disgusting with the damage he had made. so I opted to PTS now before it got to that point, and clearly the metacam wasnt helping.

I feel..empty, it happened so fast, I don’t think I know how to process it.

its so surreal. two weeks back we were celebrating his third birthday, happy tears with lots of fruit, as that’s all I asked of him. he holds the title for oldest gerbil I’ve had. few days back we were joking about how some have a center piece for their dining table, and we have a whole gerbil tank [emoji38]

to him..just being gone. over two days really. & that all happened so fast too. I saw the open tumor, knew it was time, within the hour we had said goodbye.

idk.. I know its for the best, he can be happy with his brother now. it just all feels....so odd. I keep expecting to see his tank, or bringing him bits of porridge and fruit.

fa087a285f94c63b0707e322b930ba8c.jpg

408cb5dd23894da54576f1d55201f7fe.jpg

d126088a05fba66f1791660e5c06a246.jpg

f0920d692f84462b2cabb992a6d81bc8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m so very sorry :cry: they are such big personalities aren’t they :love: thinking of you and sending hugs xx

I’m so very sorry :cry: they are such big personalities aren’t they :love: thinking of you and sending hugs xx

they really do! he was always very lazy and always finding an easy way to do life. eg let his brother do the work and reap the rewards [emoji38] I will miss him dearly. at least he’s reunited with his brother at last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry to read this :( I know what you mean about processing though, I had a similar experience with Aboleth: it all happens so fast and your body and mind just can't keep up. Big hugs xx

Oh no, I'm really sorry that you have lost liquorice, doesn't matter how small they are, they still leave a big hole when they leave us. Big hugs BC xx

thank you all, I really appreciate it [emoji3590]

BF & I are open to more small furries in the future..but for now we want to settle & get everything smooth before doing that. I’ve kept the tank in case (I cant seem to get it anymore??), but we’ll see where the future takes us. I also need some time to grieve tbh.

Luna & Orion seem aware of it too - they can’t hear a little buddy scurrying about, they keep peering up onto the table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am so sorry that you lost Liquorice. Luna and Orion are very perceptive so they will be aware of the passing.
Sleep tight Liquorice. Hugs for you xx

I am so sorry you lost Liquorice. Sudden losses can feel surreal at first. He had a good life with you and his brother. Perhaps we can take a lesson from his willingness to sit back and wait while someone else shoulders some burden and does the work. Hugs.

I'm so very sorry for the loss of Liquorice. He sounds quite the character. :love:

I really like the poem that Jane posted on another thread about how we continually choose to share our lives with these little ones who are here so much less longer than we are. The number makes no difference because the grief is the same each time, and in some cases harder to bear, but the love we receive balances that. They have so much to give it is impossible not to be drawn to them.

Gentle hugs and comforting thoughts coming to you at this sad time. Sweet dreams, Liquorice. xxxxx

Back