• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clipping Advice

Maddie220790

Young Bun
Hi!

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good mat rake/clipping device to use to trim the fur above my bunny's tail, please?

She isn't able to groom it due to dental issues and the vets usually do it. However, yesterday after her dental, she is usually kept under anaesthetic to do the clipping and she stopped breathing. Thankfully they brought her back (best vets ever)!

So, rather than stressing her with another long distance vet trip, I would like to be able to clean her up a bit from home.

I scissor trim the odd bit but just wondered if anyone has any good devices they use to get rid of matted hair?

Thank you!

I'm not sure if anyone would be able to recommend anything. Rabbit skin is incredibly thin and would be easily cut with clippers etc.

I'll bump your post up just in case though.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

My bun isn't very brilliant at grooming herself in that area, but is happy to sit and let me do it. I clip the fur above the tail with a small pair of scissors, but always hold the fur making sure my fingers are next to her body, I just gently tease any matty bits, gently using my fingers to loosen them, then clip off if necessary. I do this once a week so they don't build up, but would never use clippers.

I think our vet used kitten clippers when Rodney came to us as he had a couple of mats.

I held him while she did it and tbh I wouldnt want to do it myself with something electronic.

I now bribe and scissor with my fingers in the way if really needed but often try and almost rub out the mat which works if they're small.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back