• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.Cuniculi Recovery

rfclark1991

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I luckily found my gorgeous rescue bun, Higgins, nearly two years ago. He is practically blind with cataracts, quite hard of hearing and, being a rescue, I don't have any medical history. I assumed his cataracts were a cause of old age but I'm not too sure now. He is an inquisitive, loving and brave house-bun who has always been healthy until about three weeks ago when he began to suffer with GS. Luckily, he made a swift recovery but has since started showing symptoms of E.Cuniculi.

It started with a slight head tilt and he is now showing a little weakness in his hind legs, head tremors on occasions and occasional urinary incontinence. He has been on Panacur for 5 days now and I was wondering when/if I could expect to see any improvements? I would tentatively say his head tilt may be a little improved (though it might be wishful thinking) but his incontinence started yesterday. I'm preparing myself for his symptoms to worsen and whilst I would do anything to keep him with me I don't want him to suffer. If his symptoms remained as they are now I would say his quality of life is still good but if they continue then I might be faced with a very difficult decision.

Looking back, things that I thought were little quirks of his, for example his cataracts, swaying his head on occasions, might actually have been signs of the parasite long ago but his recent episode of GS just lowered his immune system allowing his symptoms progressed - is this possible?

Thank you for all comments in advance! I will say as well that I do chat to my vet regularly to keep him updated of Higg's progress but just looking for anyone who has had experience of treating E.Cuniculi.

Hello everyone,

I luckily found my gorgeous rescue bun, Higgins, nearly two years ago. He is practically blind with cataracts, quite hard of hearing and, being a rescue, I don't have any medical history. I assumed his cataracts were a cause of old age but I'm not too sure now. He is an inquisitive, loving and brave house-bun who has always been healthy until about three weeks ago when he began to suffer with GS. Luckily, he made a swift recovery but has since started showing symptoms of E.Cuniculi.

It started with a slight head tilt and he is now showing a little weakness in his hind legs, head tremors on occasions and occasional urinary incontinence. He has been on Panacur for 5 days now and I was wondering when/if I could expect to see any improvements? I would tentatively say his head tilt may be a little improved (though it might be wishful thinking) but his incontinence started yesterday. I'm preparing myself for his symptoms to worsen and whilst I would do anything to keep him with me I don't want him to suffer. If his symptoms remained as they are now I would say his quality of life is still good but if they continue then I might be faced with a very difficult decision.

Looking back, things that I thought were little quirks of his, for example his cataracts, swaying his head on occasions, might actually have been signs of the parasite long ago but his recent episode of GS just lowered his immune system allowing his symptoms progressed - is this possible?

Thank you for all comments in advance! I will say as well that I do chat to my vet regularly to keep him updated of Higg's progress but just looking for anyone who has had experience of treating E.Cuniculi.

Hello,

Did your Vet also prescribe a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam ? With EC it is important to try to minimise the inflammatory response that occurs as EC spores erupt into various organs/ the CNS. It is inflammation that causes clinical symptoms.

There is some information about EC here :

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/e-cuniculi/

If you are on Facebook there is a Group on there who offer support and advice for those caring for Rabbits with Head Tilt. You may want to join the group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpforHeadTiltHoppers/

Hello & Welcome to you & Higgins.

Unfortunately I've had a fair bit of experience of EC - I'm not sure I have much info / experience to pass on though.

The first bun I had with EC took about 6 weeks to make any progress from her severe head tilt. However she did recover well & had another 2 happy years. With Boo the only symptom she seems to have is EC related Uveits. I had a lovely little bunny I lost in May - it was presumed he had EC - he had chronic renal failure so not sure which of his experiences were attributable to what really. He had urinary incontinence & that never got better but his hind limb weakness improved massively after a week .

Yes its possible / probable. EC is more likely to be activated at times of physical / emotional stress.

Hi,

Thank you both for your responses and the recommendation about an anti-inflammatory. I'll certainly discuss this with my vet but he tried Metacam once before and it really upset his tummy so it might be a double-edged sword! They're such sensitive little things <3

So sorry to hear about the loss of your bun but positive news that your other bun recovered well and I'll be keeping everything crossed that Higgins does the same.

Thank you both again.

Back