• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nextdoor’s cats taking an interest...

Wellington

Young Bun
We have got two bunnies. They’re three months old and only arrived a week ago. They are absolutely perfect in every way :love:

Our next-door neighbours have recently got kittens..... They have only just started letting them out into the garden, and we’ve only just started letting our bunnies out, so this is very new for all of them. Our neighbours are doing their best to keep the cats out of our garden but realistically we have to accept that their cats are going to visit our garden sometimes. They got in twice today, and seemed rather too interested in the rabbits, staring at them, and doing that wiggling their bottoms thing that cats do when they’re about to pounce on something :cry: The rabbits were oblivious the first time, and terrified the second time. I’m not sure what to do. Our neighbours are lovely and as keen as we are to ensure that everyone can live together harmoniously. Should we attempt a formal introduction between cats and rabbits? Or just step back a bit and let the cats come into the garden and see what happens (obviously staying close enough to intervene if it looks as though the cats might pounce) ?

One of the best ways of deterring cats is a water pistol otherwise you will be living on your nerves all the time afraid your Bunnies get so scared and die of a heart attack. Or get killed by the cats. Your buns will need to be in a very strong, safe enclosure so the cats cannot get to them. It will need a roof. Have you got fencing around the garden?

The bunnies are in a sturdy hutch with attached run, all bolted together and it has a roof, so they’re safe when they’re in there, but we’d like to be able to let them run about in the garden. The garden is fenced but you know what cats are like! So far they have scrambled up trees and got across the fence that way. At the moment I don’t think they’re trying to get to the rabbits, they’re just exploring, but sooner or later there will be an encounter.

The bunnies are in a sturdy hutch with attached run, all bolted together and it has a roof, so they’re safe when they’re in there, but we’d like to be able to let them run about in the garden. The garden is fenced but you know what cats are like! So far they have scrambled up trees and got across the fence that way. At the moment I don’t think they’re trying to get to the rabbits, they’re just exploring, but sooner or later there will be an encounter.

I believe that you can get cat proof netting, that is angled to prevent cats from getting over the fence, but I would never let a rabbit free roam in the garden without supervision.

We have got two bunnies. They’re three months old and only arrived a week ago. They are absolutely perfect in every way :love:

Our next-door neighbours have recently got kittens..... They have only just started letting them out into the garden, and we’ve only just started letting our bunnies out, so this is very new for all of them. Our neighbours are doing their best to keep the cats out of our garden but realistically we have to accept that their cats are going to visit our garden sometimes. They got in twice today, and seemed rather too interested in the rabbits, staring at them, and doing that wiggling their bottoms thing that cats do when they’re about to pounce on something :cry: The rabbits were oblivious the first time, and terrified the second time. I’m not sure what to do. Our neighbours are lovely and as keen as we are to ensure that everyone can live together harmoniously. Should we attempt a formal introduction between cats and rabbits? Or just step back a bit and let the cats come into the garden and see what happens (obviously staying close enough to intervene if it looks as though the cats might pounce) ?

I have pretty much the same situation unfortunately and its not good. imo young cats especially are checking out what is prey & something bad may well happen.
unbelievable that people think it's OK for THEIR animals to go into other people's gardens, even if it's only to poop. I know you can't tell a cat not to go somewhere but still not right.
I have dogs pooping on my front lawn & cats pooping out back and stalking my rabbits. makes me so angry.

I have had rabbits free range for years now but it has only recently become a problem for me since next door got 2 kittens for their kids. i am at home 24/7 atm and my buns are constantly monitored while out & have to be but it only takes a minute or 2...…

I hate my neighbours (on 1 side) for many reasons but the cat thing is the biggest reason. 'cats will be cats' is what they said :evil:

….. and breathe......

Last edited:
Back