• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best bedding for after neutering

gracieweg

Young Bun
My bun is getting neutered today, and I’ve been wondering what is the best bedding to use after his surgery? He’s not a chewer so I’ve considered putting towels down but I’m not sure if they are safe to keep in his cage over night. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need it to be able to keep him warm, since it’s forecast to be a bit colder tonight than what it has been recently.

My bun is getting neutered today, and I’ve been wondering what is the best bedding to use after his surgery? He’s not a chewer so I’ve considered putting towels down but I’m not sure if they are safe to keep in his cage over night. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need it to be able to keep him warm, since it’s forecast to be a bit colder tonight than what it has been recently.

If he is an outdoor Rabbit he will need to be kept indoors tonight. Rabbits can struggle to maintain their body temperature after a GA, hypothermia is a real risk.

Towels as bedding will be fine as long as he does not chew them.

Thank you for the replies, the vets called earlier this afternoon and told us he wasn’t “fully developed” and needed to wait another 2-3 months for the other one to drop. He still went under anaesthesia, and is now back home but is feeling very sorry for himself :(

In this case I would advise that you find a Rabbit Savvy Vet who can do the operation now. It is more complicated but not impossible. To find such a Vet you can start a new thread asking for Vet recommendations in your area.

I agree with above, also a shame the vets would.put him under G/A to then look and find one testicle is not descended. He should have both descended by now, most do by 14 weeks, so looks like one may be stuck inside which a rabbit savvy vet would neuter he would have a more invasive op were the vets would have to make an incision to find the other testicle. Hope he feels more himself soon, keep an eye to make sure he is going to the toilet and eating.

Thank you for the replies, the vets called earlier this afternoon and told us he wasn’t “fully developed” and needed to wait another 2-3 months for the other one to drop. He still went under anaesthesia, and is now back home but is feeling very sorry for himself :(

It sounds as though Bunny is Cryptorchid (his testicles have not descended )and this may mean that if he is neutered it will have to be an abdominal castration. Is he a Giant Breed ? If so they do mature more slowly than smaller breeds. That said, it is unusual for both testicles not to have descended by 6 months. Rabbits can retract their testicles back into the abdominal cavity. But a Rabbit Savvy Vet should be able to get them back down again once Bunny is under GA.

As tonibun mentioned, you may want to consider trying to find a Bunny Savvy Vet if you have any doubts about the competence of your current Vet

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund have some advice about Rabbit Savvy Vets

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-welfare-association-fund/our-work/rabbit-friendly-vets/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

I agree with above, also a shame the vets would.put him under G/A to then look and find one testicle is not descended. He should have both descended by now, most do by 14 weeks, so looks like one may be stuck inside which a rabbit savvy vet would neuter he would have a more invasive op were the vets would have to make an incision to find the other testicle. Hope he feels more himself soon, keep an eye to make sure he is going to the toilet and eating.

I’m frustrated that they didn’t check beforehand especially because I mentioned that I could only see one! He’s eating and drinking etc absolutely fine and is almost completely back to his usual self :) I’ll look into finding another vet

It sounds as though Bunny is Cryptorchid (his testicles have not descended )and this may mean that if he is neutered it will have to be an abdominal castration. Is he a Giant Breed ? If so they do mature more slowly than smaller breeds. That said, it is unusual for both testicles not to have descended by 6 months. Rabbits can retract their testicles back into the abdominal cavity. But a Rabbit Savvy Vet should be able to get them back down again once Bunny is under GA.

As tonibun mentioned, you may want to consider trying to find a Bunny Savvy Vet if you have any doubts about the competence of your current Vet

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund have some advice about Rabbit Savvy Vets

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-welfare-association-fund/our-work/rabbit-friendly-vets/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Thank you, he’s a mini lion lop cross, so he’s definitely on the smaller side (weighs about 1.6kg) our vet seems to be quite rabbit friendly, at least more than other vets we have been to in the past with our dogs (our currents ones have small animal equipment in the consult rooms and none of the vets I have been to have ever had anything similar)

Also, could anyone tell me roughly how much the operation stated previously would cost? I was paying around £85 for his neuter initially, and I’m assuming this one would cost more?

Back