• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syrupy Cecos

loobers25

Warren Veteran
I am having a bit of bother with Syrup producing huge uneaten cecos.

I have a suspicion it could either be corriander or a dry leaf and flower mix that’s causing it.

She is still doing normal poops at the moment but is leaving these big poops.

Syrup is pellet free. She has:
Stalky Timothy hay.co.uk
Timothy hay box club
Soft Timothy hay.co.uk

Fresh mallow, plantain, willow, lemon balm and dill

She has a hay cookie always available

I have been feeding readigrass but cecos was before this and she’s not really interested in it

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you could try excluding the suspected items and see if it improves, if it does grabdually reintroduce one at a time and see what happens?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Treacle loves coriander, but it always gives her a bit of a splotty botty, so she doesn't get it very often.

Sorry that didn’t come up with the exact one

It’s the leaf and flower mix

I was giving them a pinch of this before fresh foods. Previously I was buying packs of apple leaf willow leaf etc so I thought I would try a mix and also my chinchilla can have some

Any suspects in this list?

Apple leaf, birch leaves, clover, cactus flowers, dandelion, echinacea, ginko, hibiscus flowers, lime blossom flowersmallow leaves, marigold flowers, mulberry leaf, pear leaves, ribwort plantain, sunchoke, sunflower petals, watetrcress, willow leaves.

No berries, fruit, vegetables or roots.

Safe for all species including degus.

Treacle loves coriander, but it always gives her a bit of a splotty botty, so she doesn't get it very often.

I think it might be, but with her stasis episode last month is it better out then in? I don’t know

Sorry that didn’t come up with the exact one

It’s the leaf and flower mix

I was giving them a pinch of this before fresh foods. Previously I was buying packs of apple leaf willow leaf etc so I thought I would try a mix and also my chinchilla can have some

Any suspects in this list?

Apple leaf, birch leaves, clover, cactus flowers, dandelion, echinacea, ginko, hibiscus flowers, lime blossom flowersmallow leaves, marigold flowers, mulberry leaf, pear leaves, ribwort plantain, sunchoke, sunflower petals, watetrcress, willow leaves.

No berries, fruit, vegetables or roots.

Safe for all species including degus.

Sunchoke is a root, Jerusalem Artichoke. This may be the culprit, especially if it's started since you started giving it to them.

Really? So it causes cecos?

No, not necessarily, but in some bunnies it might do. If this is a new problem, then something that Syrup is now having that she didn't previously, is very probably causing it.

It seems hard to believe that just a pinch of a mixture of different items would be problematic, but maybe it is.

I think it would be the first thing that I would try cutting out, because Sunchoke is a root. But obviously Syrup might be reacting to something else she's had new. Just go through systematically everything new one by one and then you will find the cause.

No, not necessarily, but in some bunnies it might do. If this is a new problem, then something that Syrup is now having that she didn't previously, is very probably causing it.

It seems hard to believe that just a pinch of a mixture of different items would be problematic, but maybe it is.

I think it would be the first thing that I would try cutting out, because Sunchoke is a root. But obviously Syrup might be reacting to something else she's had new. Just go through systematically everything new one by one and then you will find the cause.

Well I stopped giving her both corriander and that one and so far no big cecos. I probably should of done one or the other but I was just so worried after her stasis. Episode I took both away

Well I stopped giving her both corriander and that one and so far no big cecos. I probably should of done one or the other but I was just so worried after her stasis. Episode I took both away

I would leave her for several days without both, now that you've removed both. Make sure that there is no problem at all even slightly and then if you want to, I would try re-introducing one of them. I would go for Coriander, but you could do the experiement with either.

Yes we've struggled with roots.

The only one tolerated here is dandelion root in small amounts.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Could sunchoke not refer to the leaves? The roots might be the only human food on the plant but the leaves are firm favourites with mine.

Back