• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies behaving differently?

Toffs and Pebbs

Warren Scout
Hello all!!

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here but I’ve come back because I know that I can always count on you guys to help me out!

So I was visiting my friend today who has a couple of lop eared rabbits who are very cute!!! (I will show a picture later, phone is being temperamental!)

Anyway, she’s been talking about them to me and she’s noticed that in the last three weeks they haven’t been acting like they would normally, they aren’t as sociable when she goes down there and when she feeds them they don’t come running and are excited to get the food and when they do get the food, they just pick at it and eat it very slowly, we even put some nice tasty fruit and carrots in there earlier and they didn’t even nibble them!

She says that they just kinda look sad and not as active, not happily running around after each other even when they go in the run and they have a very large living space! They live in a shed with a connected chicken run but they also have another run she takes them out to when she can.

They don’t have as many toys because she reckons they don’t play with them but we have made some toys today just in case, and they have access to lots and lots and lots of hay!

So I was wondering whether you guys have any ideas on why they have suddenly changed behaviour and how to help them feel better!

Hope you are all safe and well [emoji178]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fe58516bf232df1be36f1d0e98f71a11.jpg

Here are the cute little buns!

Are they near the house so they are part of the 'goings on'? What do you mean by a chicken run?
I'm always suspicious when rabbits change their behaviour.
They are lovely.

Are they near the house so they are part of the 'goings on'? What do you mean by a chicken run?
I'm always suspicious when rabbits change their behaviour.
They are lovely.

They are towards the end of the garden so not near the house but they have been there for most of their lives without behaving this way and my rabbits are probably as far away as her rabbits are and they’ve never done anything like this.

The chicken run used to be for chickens before they died so it’s about 1.5 metres long and kind of a semi circle size, I could try find a google image that looks like it!

I am assuming they are fully vaccinated.
I would strongly recommend they are checked by a rabbit savvy vet.
Apart from anything else, that run is much smaller than that recommended for a permanently attached run and doesn’t give them space to exercise. Rabbits may not like toys as such, but enjoy tunnels, digging trays etc. How long have they been using that run (ie was it thoroughly disinfected after it was used by chickens).
I’m going to bump this post so someone else may give advice.

I am assuming they are fully vaccinated.
I would strongly recommend they are checked by a rabbit savvy vet.
Apart from anything else, that run is much smaller than that recommended for a permanently attached run and doesn’t give them space to exercise. Rabbits may not like toys as such, but enjoy tunnels, digging trays etc. How long have they been using that run (ie was it thoroughly disinfected after it was used by chickens).
I’m going to bump this post so someone else may give advice.

I’ll let my friend know that they should get a check up!

I’ve shared this thread with her so she can read all the advice so thank you very much!

I’m going to lend her my rabbits digging box because my rabbits just dig in their attached run themselves [emoji2356]

My friend can’t really remember whether the run was disinfected because it was a long long time ago but it’s most likely that it happened.

Thank you very much!

Back