• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Readigrass

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Dennis is going mad for it. Can I feed it freely? I might have read somewhere buns can gain weight on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've always limited it to a handful a day.

I remember reading somewhere it's not great calcium wise as higher than hay but no added moisture but I don't remember where so may be wrong.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

We've always limited it to a handful a day.

I remember reading somewhere it's not great calcium wise as higher than hay but no added moisture but I don't remember where so may be wrong.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

This is what I've heard too. I only feed a handful at a time once or twice a week as a treat. They all go mad for it as well!

It used to be - if I remember rightly - alfalfa. I’m not sure if it still is now. I started using grasstastic instead which is fescue grass.

I thought it was just freeze dried grass

It is. It has a higher protein content than hay and some Rabbits can gain too much weight if it is free fed. I have also had a few Rabbits who bloated after gorging on Readigrass. So I only feed it in moderation.

It is. It has a higher protein content than hay and some Rabbits can gain too much weight if it is free fed. I have also had a few Rabbits who bloated after gorging on Readigrass. So I only feed it in moderation.

Oh no - do you know what causes the bloat in readigrass?

Oh no - do you know what causes the bloat in readigrass?

Eating too much of it too quickly. Rather like if a Bunny eats a lot of new growth fresh Spring grass. It is too nutritionally concentrated and a Rabbit's GI tract is not designed to cope with a big hit of high nutrition in one go. They are designed to digest a constant intake of lower nutritional value high fibre food. That is another reason why a pellet feed is not the best diet for Rabbits. Convenient for us, yes. But not always best for Bunny.

I have rarely fed it, mainly because I forget it as on option but you reminded me, I was actually too scared to feed it because I lost Gracie to a blockage on one of the rare occasions I did feed it. There may not be a link, and I had long forgotten my vague suspension but maybe there was something of a connection...

I don't feed it now. I used to get it as a treat when I had the Rexes as they liked it. I seem to remember there was also an Oat Readigrass option, which I thought looked lush, but disappointingly they didn't seem to like it any more than the normal.

Anyway for whatever reason, they suddenly went off it, just refused to eat it, and I was left with quite a lot, which got wasted.

Since then, I have put this in the category of an expensive treat, which probably is no better nutritionally than fresh grass or hay. I think also my view on rabbits' eating habits has changed slightly over the years. What I mean is I used to get enjoyment out of watching them eating a treat, because it seemed that it was making them happy. Now, I get my enjoyment out of watching them eat something that I know is good for them nutritionally. Not that Readigrass is bad, just that it's no better in my view.

Don't tell Tui of course :lol: She's never experienced it and I can just imagine her with mouthfuls of the stuff.

Eating too much of it too quickly. Rather like if a Bunny eats a lot of new growth fresh Spring grass. It is too nutritionally concentrated and a Rabbit's GI tract is not designed to cope with a big hit of high nutrition in one go. They are designed to digest a constant intake of lower nutritional value high fibre food. That is another reason why a pellet feed is not the best diet for Rabbits. Convenient for us, yes. But not always best for Bunny.

Oh no :( I didn’t know that :( I gave him some this morning and he eats lots. It’s a shame because he was doing nice big poops on it. I hope he will be ok

I'm sure Denny will be fine, you might just have to ration him more in future. I'm going to get some for my Mousey to try again one day. They've had it in the past but I can't remember what happened - maybe they went off it like Omi's rexes

I'm sure Denny will be fine, you might just have to ration him more in future. I'm going to get some for my Mousey to try again one day. They've had it in the past but I can't remember what happened - maybe they went off it like Omi's rexes

Gosh I am really worried. They seem ok now and will keep an eye on them. My mum used to give Dennis all sorts of stuff like lotus beans and pea flakes. I hope he doesn’t get gas this time

I’m sure he’ll be okay! [emoji3590]

I used to give mine redigrass mixed into the normal hay. encouraged them to eat it tbh! I stopped doing it and swapped to forage as that was easier to get at the store

Mine got some every day for a few months and neither had any issues (Aboleth and Lopsy) :thumb: Every rabbit is different: Lopsy gets gas/stasis from sprouts and Chibbs goes mad for hay more than pellets sometimes :roll:

Mine used to have it freely available when they went onto a pellet free diet.
Now they've gone back on pellets they get a small handful every few days.

Due to its high protein level it can also cause excessive caecotropes which is why its kept as a every now and again thing.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Mine used to have it freely available when they went onto a pellet free diet.
Now they've gone back on pellets they get a small handful every few days.

Due to its high protein level it can also cause excessive caecotropes which is why its kept as a every now and again thing.

Dennis is pellet free so that is reassuring DP thank you!

Dennis is pellet free so that is reassuring DP thank you!

Start by introducing a small amount, increase gradually so you can monitor differences. It will make their faeces darker.

Back