• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy or angry grunting?!

cheriseru

Alpha Buck
hiya,
I'm a brand new bunny owner :) didn't buy him but adopted from a woman who needed to remove him. He's apparently 6months old. I've had him now for about 5 hours.
He's been absolutely adorable and very tame, hopping out of his cage and around my flat. He sits still when I stroke his head and ears and hops over to me.
But the past hour or so hes started making this braying grunting type noise. Not the whole time but he's been running around me, I'm sat on the floor, making the noise and he's perfectly fine when I then pet him, but then he runs around making the noise again. And he's even done a little bit of binkying.
So I'm a bit confused as his general demeanour and other actions make me think he's very happy, but I read that grunting is a sign of irritation :s
I don't want to just dismiss it so any advice or guidance?

Hello and welcome! :) Is he neutered yet? Going by when he's making noise it's likely to be due to excitement, this is common in unneutered males and may soon be followed by spraying urine! I would book him in for neutering if not already done, also have you got proof from the previous owner that he's fully vaccinated?

Thank you :D
Ah yes he's not neutered and I will be getting him vaccinated and neutered. I spoke to my vet yesterday in preparation of getting him and they advised getting him settled in his new home first for a week or so, then getting him vaccinated and then after a week or 2 getting him neutered.
Haha when you say excitement do you mean happy excitement or need to hump something excitement? 😳
As long as he's not annoyed or anything bad then I'll relax :D
Seeing as he's just laid down next to my foot I guess he must be content :D

Thank you :D
Ah yes he's not neutered and I will be getting him vaccinated and neutered. I spoke to my vet yesterday in preparation of getting him and they advised getting him settled in his new home first for a week or so, then getting him vaccinated and then after a week or 2 getting him neutered.
Haha when you say excitement do you mean happy excitement or need to hump something excitement? ��
As long as he's not annoyed or anything bad then I'll relax :D
Seeing as he's just laid down next to my foot I guess he must be content :D

Sounds good :) Yes he's not annoyed, quite the opposite and clearly likes his new home! :lol:

Hi welcome :wave: and well done on rehoming a bunny :) he certainly sounds a happy chap, and clearly approves of his new home, and you :D good luck with the vaccinations and neutering. Look forward to hearing more about him.

Just wanted to say cant wait to find out more about him.
Have you named him?

(As others have said... sounds like he's very, very happy in his new home)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thank you :D yup I'm pro rehoming! :D
Thanks :D will give the vet a call next week to find out when I can do vaccinations

thank you!!! I decided to keep the name they gave him as I like it too :D he's named Zeus :D
Will go find the introductions thread now that I can relax :D

so new developments this morning, he's been doing his running around grunty again but ummm ok there's no polite way to say it... he's started humping my hand :oops:
He was just running around me and I was petting his ears and moved my hand back a bit and he grabbed with front paws and started the motion which I thought he was trying to get over my hand so moved it away. I of course laughed and thought it was a fluke, but for the past 30mins anytime I hold my hand out he does the same :oops:
He will be getting neutered but not for another few weeks, any advice to help the poor boy in the meantime? he does seem very "excited" and I feel bad he doesn't have a girlfriend :S

so new developments this morning, he's been doing his running around grunty again but ummm ok there's no polite way to say it... he's started humping my hand :oops:
He was just running around me and I was petting his ears and moved my hand back a bit and he grabbed with front paws and started the motion which I thought he was trying to get over my hand so moved it away. I of course laughed and thought it was a fluke, but for the past 30mins anytime I hold my hand out he does the same :oops:
He will be getting neutered but not for another few weeks, any advice to help the poor boy in the meantime? he does seem very "excited" and I feel bad he doesn't have a girlfriend :S
I'd maybe see if they could book him in sooner as he seems already settled with you.

The behaviour could last for 6 weeks after neutering as hormones subside in his body.
(As far as I'm aware it doesn't become a learnt behaviour)

I'd maybe see if they could book him in sooner as he seems already settled with you.

The behaviour could last for 6 weeks after neutering as hormones subside in his body.
(As far as I'm aware it doesn't become a learnt behaviour)

Yup i'm starting to think I might need to get him neutered sooner rather than later :oops:
Poor baby boy. My vet is closed today so will give them a call tomorrow :)

Back