• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anti-Slip Hutch Floor?

Nibbles06

New Kit
Today I setup a new hutch upgrade I bought for my rabbits, as there are two of them now.
However, they really do not seem comfortable on the second floor of the hutch. [Two layer plastic and wire cage]
They slide around a lot and even with hay cannot balance so they just sit in the bottom area.
We bought this new hutch so that they could have a little more room at night. And it seems a little unsafe to let my older bunny slip around like that when her paw has not healed fully yet. I have blanketed the first floor so they can sleep comfortably, is there anything else I can do? :?:
[The floor has no grid or texture, just smooth plastic.)
Here is what we bought:
shorturl.at/auIVX

Last edited:
Hi, firstly sorry you didn't get a reply to your question yesterday. Unfortunately I cannot your view photo, you will need to do this through a photo hosting website, many of use Imgur or Tapatalk, if you are still unsure take a look under the section Forum Help, there is a very useful sticky on posting photos. However, if the floor of the hutch is just plastic, this is not really suitable for your bunnies, as they will not be able to get a grip, and they will not feel safe, maybe laying a fleece blanket down may help for now. If you could post a photo, it might help as we could then see your setup, and I'm sure others will be along with some advice for you.

You will find lots of good advice over on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website if you have not already viewed.

I just wanted to add to this that Chibbs doesn't like the plywood flooring in the hutch and pulls hay out of the hayrack to make herself a rug. It's less slippy for her then, as it gets rucked up against the litter tray and she can grip again. Lopsy's never worried about it. Aboleth never experienced the plywood.

Hi, firstly sorry you didn't get a reply to your question yesterday. Unfortunately I cannot your view photo, you will need to do this through a photo hosting website, many of use Imgur or Tapatalk, if you are still unsure take a look under the section Forum Help, there is a very useful sticky on posting photos. However, if the floor of the hutch is just plastic, this is not really suitable for your bunnies, as they will not be able to get a grip, and they will not feel safe, maybe laying a fleece blanket down may help for now. If you could post a photo, it might help as we could then see your setup, and I'm sure others will be along with some advice for you.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into getting something safer for them, maybe just going back to a little hutch for now. The floor on their old one had a grid so that held the hay, I might see if they have other options for two layer hutches later on.:D

Back