• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is It Normal That She Jumps So High?

Gab1899

New Kit
Ash is free-roamed in a room in my apartment, but I'm going away soon and the person who will be looking after her can't free roam, so I've built a large panelled enclosure. The first try was about 55cm high (1'9") and after a day Ash had managed to jump up, precariously balance on the 2cm-wide top of the fence, and jump down to freedom! We then unhinged all the panels and turned them so they were long side up, so the enclosure was now around 75cm high (2'5") and after another successful day and night, she's now succeeded in doing the same! We're giving her away on Friday, so we're rushing to build some kind of roof since that seems to be the only way to keep her in! I feel bad closing her in like that, but she has plenty of space inside and there's no way the bunnysitter would manage with her acrobatics...

How can she jump so high? Do any of your bunnies do that too? And it really scares me to see her jump down from that height...

Most rabbits will easily clear 2' if they want to. Some think nothing of 3'. 3' with some sort of roof will keep most bunnies in and still allow them the run around and stretch up. You can get puppy panel enclosures of different heights that can be really useful. Even a small hole nylon mesh roof (eg from a garden centre) will do the job, as long as it is properly fastened on (eg wire twist ties every few inches) so that the rabbit can't get tangled in it. I would make sure that the enclosure is properly secured and safe so that there are no accidents while you are away, especially if there isn't someone there all the time.

Can't you just shut the door to one room and leave her in there instead?

Yes, we're putting up a mesh roof. We will be taking her to the bunnysitter's apartment, and she doesn't have a full room to spare for her - if she was staying here there would be no problem with her free-roaming as usual...

We have a meter but our big bun managed that!

It was only when we got the camera we realised he was using the caging as footholds and scrabbling himself over. It was two massive dog pens clipped together.

We got some wooden panels and he never managed it again bless him.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back