• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rupert not eating

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Woke up this morning to Rupert acting strange. Last night before I went to bed I gave him a Fibafirst and he turned his nose up, so I tried a fenugreek crunchie which he wolfed down. This morning I've woken up to find him sitting alone under our bed, which was weird as he doesn't normally sit there. Tried another fenugreek crunchie but he wasn't interested. He's just had a tiny bit of critical care mixed with baby food but not much. Going to try and convince him to eat some herbs and coax him out from his little spot as it's hard to monitor him under there! Unfortunately I have to go to work for a few hours so if he's not eating by the time I go I'll book him an appt at the vet this afternoon. I have some infacol but reluctant to give it unless he really picks up and passes some poo which I haven't seen yet.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

He waited until I called the vet and made an appointment and then started eating! He's a little quiet but had his veg and critical care. I'm still taking him to the vet later to have him checked out.

He waited until I called the vet and made an appointment and then started eating! He's a little quiet but had his veg and critical care. I'm still taking him to the vet later to have him checked out.

Hah always the way isn't it!

I hope you get on okay at the vets later, sending lots of vibes xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

What’s his poo output like ? What comes out is as important as what is going in.

Good luck at the Vets x

I've only seen a couple of poo's this morning and they are dark and funny shapes. Unfortunately I've been at work for a few hours so haven't seen him pee, just got back a while ago and gave him some more critical care which he was very happy about! Off to the vets just before 5pm so will let them give him a thorough inspection.

I'm glad he's eaten something though, I've been home every other day this week and was panicking about not being able to get him to the vet until late!

Last edited:
Just back from the vets and the only problem they could find was his teeth, some spurs on the right hand side lower teeth. They've sent him home with metacam and emiprid today, and once he's eating more and feeling better he's coming back for a dental.

I'll be honest I'm a bit surprised that he needs a dental as he eats so much hay and loves things like dandelion root! When I had Teddy he barely ate any hay so I understood why he had dental issues but I'm a bit stumped with this one.

Just back from the vets and the only problem they could find was his teeth, some spurs on the right hand side lower teeth. They've sent him home with metacam and emiprid today, and once he's eating more and feeling better he's coming back for a dental.

I'll be honest I'm a bit surprised that he needs a dental as he eats so much hay and loves things like dandelion root! When I had Teddy he barely ate any hay so I understood why he had dental issues but I'm a bit stumped with this one.

Is Rupert a ‘flat faced’ Bunny ?

I hope he will get on OK when he has his Dental x

Hi Jane

He's not no, his bunwife is! I think he's a cross but his face is relatively pointy. I've had him almost a year and he's 4, and I've no idea of his previous history or whether he's had issues before. I'm hoping it's just a one off. Just trying to think if anything I've done could've caused it, they've had more hay cookies recently so I wonder if he's eaten less proper hay as a result or if I'm just reaching...

Hi Jane

He's not no, his bunwife is! I think he's a cross but his face is relatively pointy. I've had him almost a year and he's 4, and I've no idea of his previous history or whether he's had issues before. I'm hoping it's just a one off. Just trying to think if anything I've done could've caused it, they've had more hay cookies recently so I wonder if he's eaten less proper hay as a result or if I'm just reaching...

I very much doubt that it is anything you have or have not done x

Thanks, he's much happier this evening, he's had his medication, a few nuggets and some critical care. Just topped up their hay, he's sniffing it but not eating it yet so I put some dried dandelion leaf in it which he's wolfing down. Hopefully we'll have more improvement overnight.

Firstly sending loads of vibes for Rupert. I hope that he feels more comfortable after his small dental work.
Secondly - very very well done fir being so amazingly observant and knowing Rupert behaviour so intimately. There’s no substitute for that and you certainly gave the vet a good head start in diagnosing the problem and for getting Rupert to the vet so quickly.
Craig xx

Thanks all, he is back to his normal self this morning, munching away on his hay (thank goodness!) And just generally being a nuisance! You'd never know he'd been under the weather. He's booked in for his dental on Wednesday as that was the earliest the vet could do because of the bank holiday so I'm going to continue with the metacam until then just in case he has any soreness. Just glad I can be home with him pretty much all the time between now and when he goes in.

Thanks all, he is back to his normal self this morning, munching away on his hay (thank goodness!) And just generally being a nuisance! You'd never know he'd been under the weather. He's booked in for his dental on Wednesday as that was the earliest the vet could do because of the bank holiday so I'm going to continue with the metacam until then just in case he has any soreness. Just glad I can be home with him pretty much all the time between now and when he goes in.

Good plan to continue with the metacam. I'm glad he is doing well.

I was gutted when normal faced, hay munching Joey needed a dental at 4years. His next one was at 8 years .

Glad to hear that he is doing OK now. I'd monitor his poo output too as this will give a good indication as to whether or not his GI tract is still a bit sluggish.

Back