• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations and Age

Maddie220790

Young Bun
Hi,

I have an almost 5 year old bun who hasn't had vaccinations due to being indoor and previous health issues.

There are quite a lot of cases in our local area at the moment and she is due to go to the vets next week for a dental and they've offered to vaccinate her then.

Can I just ask if its okay for a 5 year old bunny to have their first VHD2 vaccination at that age? Would it cause any issues do you think? Other than her dental issues, she is otherwise healthy now.

Has anyone had any issues of buns receiving their first vaccination at a higher age?

Many thanks for responses :)

There is a very minimal risk of issues with any vaccination at any age but to be honest, I wouldn't give a second thought to a rabbit being 5 any more than 1 year old when it comes to vaccinations. Age wouldn't really come into it with my calculations - just health issues.

I have taken on rabbits of older ages with no known vaccination history (so it could have been their first) and have know had any ever with a reaction to vaccine.

If your vet says she is fit, then I would definitely get her vaccinated. There is a new vaccine that does all 3 viruses in one shot, rather than 2 different ones with a 2 week gap - so it may be worth asking if they have it in stock. For me, the risks of having an unvaccinated are too high and I woud always get them done if at all possible.

My Jimby and Cookie had their first VHD2 vaccine at the age of 8 and were both fine.
I am a little anxious about the new combi vaccine which covers all 3 because Cookie is now 11.5years old and I don't want to be giving her anything new really.

Back