• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Gwen

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
I feel terrible. I tried to pick Gwen up and she scrambled out of my arms and fell hard on the floor. Now she's limping and can't seem to put much weight on one leg. My boyfriend tried to tell me it'll be ok but he doesn't seem to know how delicate rabbit's can be. I cried so much I feel terrible. If I hadn't tried to pick her up she'd be happy and fine and running around like she was yesterday. I'll be taking her to the vet later today and I'm hoping to God she is OK. She managed to hop into the litter box and eat some hay while laying down which has helped me feel a bit better...just want her to be ok

I think this sort of thing has happened to quite a few people, so you’re not alone. They can be so squirmy sometimes and it happens so quickly. I hope Gwen will be ok.

Thank you all. I've been sick with worry all morning. I had to wait in the car while they looked at her because of this damn virus. However the vet said although she does have a bad limp she is still putting some weight on it, so it's probably not a break (along with what she could feel of the bones etc). However without an x-ray it would be impossible to tell if there are any hairline fractures. The fact Gwen is still moving around somewhat and eating/drinking is a good sign. She gave me some painkillers for the next week and said that if there's no improvement, or if she gets worse, to come back and they can take a closer look with an xray. I am so incredibly relieved but her limp is still quite bad at the moment. I hope it improves with some rest. Will try to keep you all updated

You may want to limit her movement while she recovers. It was an accident and you did the right thing taking her to the vet to have her assessed, so please do not feel guilty. Sending you both a huge batch of positive vibes for a full recovery.

Update, Gwen seems to be back to normal, she's binkying and hopping around. Eating and drinking. Unfortunately she has started dribbling urine the past couple of days. Not lots, but I will come across small puddles and drips. Her bum is also wet. I am afraid she may have damaged something or she might have a UTI! Will be calling the vets again on Monday. Fingers crossed its nothing serious. It might be hormonal as she's getting to that age. We will see

Just got back from the vets. My usual vet is pretty busy lately so I decided to try the P@H vets as they had an appointment today. I explained that she basically didn't seem to be able to control her urination, i'd find random little dribbles around and it seemed very clear, along with her bum being wet constantly. He said she seemed perfectly healthy in the general check over but she weed herself and he managed to get a sample. He said it was unusually clear and did a dip test on it etc. He said the glucose levels seemed high from that alone but he wanted to check furhter and so I agreed for a blood sample to be taken. Again glucose seemed high - 16mmol I believe he said. He basically said his first thought would be diabetes, or some kind of kidney problem. He also said diabetes is incredibly rare for rabbits and considering her young age (7 months) and general good weight, diet and appearance he was confused why she would have something like that. I looked it up when I got home and stress can increase glucose in blood - and I know being handled and driven around would be stressful for her, she's not a big fan of it. He said he'd do some research and call me back tomorrow to discuss it further. I honestly don't know what to think. It was pretty upsetting to hear something as serious as that when I was expecting a UTI or hormonal changes being the culprit. Overall I don't know what to think. She and Finn do drink a lot, but I use a water bowl so its easier for them to drink their fill.

Anyway I'm hoping with the samples he has he looks further into it and manages to find some answer.

We all immediately assume worst case scenario - so what your feeling is natural. Goodness knows I don't think many of us can say we've sat in the vets and heard stuff that we worry about or don't understand. The main thing - and the most important part of your update is that your vet IS doing something and is looking into Gwens ailment and that is extremely positive. It's possible it could be something or it might be something less serious. I am sending you loads of vibes for Gwen that it isn't too major and whatever it is is managable and won't change Gwens wonderful life with you.
Hoping for positive news from an update when the vets contact you.
Craig xx

We all immediately assume worst case scenario - so what your feeling is natural. Goodness knows I don't think many of us can say we've sat in the vets and heard stuff that we worry about or don't understand. The main thing - and the most important part of your update is that your vet IS doing something and is looking into Gwens ailment and that is extremely positive. It's possible it could be something or it might be something less serious. I am sending you loads of vibes for Gwen that it isn't too major and whatever it is is managable and won't change Gwens wonderful life with you.
Hoping for positive news from an update when the vets contact you.
Craig xx

Thank you. I just heard diabetes/kidney problems and started crying and thought the worst. Going by how she's acting you never would think there's a thing wrong with her. Eating and drinking, zoomies, grooming, healthy poops. She seems to be a healthy 7 month old. Its just her bladder control doesn't seem great all of a sudden. I had the thought that maybe her fall might have affected her bladder control somehow. He said he will call me tomorrow so hopefully with the samples he has he can determine something.

Is your Vet Rabbit savvy ? I ask as if not personally I would try to locate one who is. The RWAF have a list of Rabbit Savvy Vets

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

He's not my usual vet, I only went to him because my usual one who I trust a bit more has been so busy they haven't been able to provide appointments and I wanted to have her looked at sooner rather than later if it was some kind of infection. I might try calling my usual vet again today

Back