Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cecal dysbiosis made worse by hay only diet

It sounds like you do everything you can for him! Maybe try without fresh grass and readigrass and see if he improves.
    I hope he gets better soon!

Sending positive vibes for your boy.

So over the last few days we've had a bit of change. He's having some pasty poo every day now, something we'd never really seen before the antibiotics. I'm not sure if it's the liquid getting better or if it's his normal poos getting worse. Awaiting a response from my vet on whether we can do a blood test as the next step in finding out what's up.
    I did stop the readigrass and grass like Walli suggested, and I've cut down on the protexin too as he seemed to be over the really bad patch of liquid poo.

No need for anyone to respond really, just updating for my own sake.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat View Post
    So over the last few days we've had a bit of change. He's having some pasty poo every day now, something we'd never really seen before the antibiotics. I'm not sure if it's the liquid getting better or if it's his normal poos getting worse. Awaiting a response from my vet on whether we can do a blood test as the next step in finding out what's up.
    I did stop the readigrass and grass like Walli suggested, and I've cut down on the protexin too as he seemed to be over the really bad patch of liquid poo.

No need for anyone to respond really, just updating for my own sake.
    I hope that blood tests may give some clue as to what is going on x

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Fingers crossed it is the liquid poo getting better and not the normal getting worse.
    I hope your vet responds soon and the bloodsamples can be taken

Blood tests showed nothing in particular. She did say he's a little anaemic but that shouldn't be causing any problems.
    We're going to do another poo test to see if the coccidiosis is back/didn't happen to be present in the last one and if that's not the cause she said she can either refer me for further tests elsewhere or we just say "it's not bothering him, lets leave it be".

Dental officially off the table which is a big relief for insurance purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat View Post
    Blood tests showed nothing in particular. She did say he's a little anaemic but that shouldn't be causing any problems.
    We're going to do another poo test to see if the coccidiosis is back/didn't happen to be present in the last one and if that's not the cause she said she can either refer me for further tests elsewhere or we just say "it's not bothering him, lets leave it be".

Dental officially off the table which is a big relief for insurance purposes.
    Well I am glad the bloods were OK but of course the mystery continues as to what is causing the problem x

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Good to hear the blood tests were ok!
    But of course it´s also frustrating not knowing what the cause is.
    Is he doing okay at the moment?

He had to have a trip to the vet yesterday because he had a damp patch on his face. I thought it was likely his teeth but vet confirmed the teeth aren't bad enough to be causing any problems. The damp patch is a rash /eczema type thing, probably because he's been getting the liquid poo on his face. They had to shave the fur off and I'm bathing it twice a day with hibiscrub which he hates.

Overall he does seem to be doing quite well. It's hard to say because I haven't always kept a diary but I feel like the periods between the liquid are getting longer and the periods where he's doing the liquid are shorter. His normal poos are still in a pretty bad way though. The vet we saw yesterday said keep a close eye on him, stick to the hay only with protexin as and when he needs it and be prepared for it to take months for improvement.

My main problem right now is that Obi is on his own and obviously lonely. He's been coming up for cuddles on the sofa every night and it's breaking my heart because he should have rabbit company 24/7 .
    An ex-RU friend wants to get out of the rabbit cycle and has a bereaved doe with a minor long term health issue I agreed to try and bond with Obi. I'm now torn between introducing a new stress (trigger number 1) that might give him some extra security and improve his wellbeing in the long run, or keeping things stable but both Obi and the other rabbit are unhappy on their own. Obi seems generally ok besides looking for a lot of affection from us, but the other rabbit is really unhappy and has become quite destructive in her current home.
    I've had a very difficult few years of rabbit ownership with lots of intensive care and on a personal level I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the idea of Obi with his issues and then another rabbit with extra needs, but I'm also getting upset on the daily seeing him on his own.

He had to have a trip to the vet yesterday because he had a damp patch on his face. I thought it was likely his teeth but vet confirmed the teeth aren't bad enough to be causing any problems. The damp patch is a rash /eczema type thing, probably because he's been getting the liquid poo on his face. They had to shave the fur off and I'm bathing it twice a day with hibiscrub which he hates.

Overall he does seem to be doing quite well. It's hard to say because I haven't always kept a diary but I feel like the periods between the liquid are getting longer and the periods where he's doing the liquid are shorter. His normal poos are still in a pretty bad way though. The vet we saw yesterday said keep a close eye on him, stick to the hay only with protexin as and when he needs it and be prepared for it to take months for improvement.

My main problem right now is that Obi is on his own and obviously lonely. He's been coming up for cuddles on the sofa every night and it's breaking my heart because he should have rabbit company 24/7 .
    An ex-RU friend wants to get out of the rabbit cycle and has a bereaved doe with a minor long term health issue I agreed to try and bond with Obi. I'm now torn between introducing a new stress (trigger number 1) that might give him some extra security and improve his wellbeing in the long run, or keeping things stable but both Obi and the other rabbit are unhappy on their own. Obi seems generally ok besides looking for a lot of affection from us, but the other rabbit is really unhappy and has become quite destructive in her current home.
    I've had a very difficult few years of rabbit ownership with lots of intensive care and on a personal level I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the idea of Obi with his issues and then another rabbit with extra needs, but I'm also getting upset on the daily seeing him on his own and I feel like I'm failing this other rabbit before I've even got her.