• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cold ears, hiding in corners & not eaten 😣

camerajuan

Warren Scout
Hi all, been a while since I've been on here - new baby & moving to a new town has kept us very busy!!

To the issue - Phoebs has been like this a few times before & after two trips to the vet earlier in his life, we've been told nothing is wrong. He'll be a bit cold, bit antisocial & leave his food for ages, then if we just leave him to it hell eventually just eat. Don't want to have a boy cried wolf situation on our hands.

However, he's now 6 & the change in his daily routine has been quite drastic since we moved. He no longer has run of the house all day, but a room to himself with a double cage, water & hay etc. We take him out to the garden to run around when we can & when the weather allows.

As it's been ridiculously hot & humid for ages, and the last two days have been noticably cooler, could he just be temperature adjusting? He didn't eat his dinner yesterday & hasn't touched food overnight. Have done him a fresh bowl, fresh water & going to try some pineapple juice later as that was on here as advice a few years ago.

He's still going into a corner though, so doesn't want attention or food right now.

Any advice, I'd love it. My vet is closed today but theres a 24 hr one a few miles away that we may have to try.

A rabbit that isn't eating is an emergency, and you need to contact the vet ASAP. Your rabbit needs to be examined. If there is no intestinal blockage, you can syringe feed him. It is essential that he has food going in regularly (but you must get the vet to rule out a blockage). He may need treatment such as pain relief, rehydration and something to get the guts moving again. Gut stasis can take a couple of weeks to resolve, with regular meds and food.

Your vet may also run some other tests to find out what is going on - stasis can be a symptom of something else, but it is life threatening.

Is he still pooing? Is he eating anything at all?

Is he pooping and peeing ? I think I'd err on the side of caution, I'd want him seen by a vet to rule out any problem. Good luck, sending lots of vibes for him xx

Hi all, been a while since I've been on here - new baby & moving to a new town has kept us very busy!!

To the issue - Phoebs has been like this a few times before & after two trips to the vet earlier in his life, we've been told nothing is wrong. He'll be a bit cold, bit antisocial & leave his food for ages, then if we just leave him to it hell eventually just eat. Don't want to have a boy cried wolf situation on our hands.

However, he's now 6 & the change in his daily routine has been quite drastic since we moved. He no longer has run of the house all day, but a room to himself with a double cage, water & hay etc. We take him out to the garden to run around when we can & when the weather allows.

As it's been ridiculously hot & humid for ages, and the last two days have been noticably cooler, could he just be temperature adjusting? He didn't eat his dinner yesterday & hasn't touched food overnight. Have done him a fresh bowl, fresh water & going to try some pineapple juice later as that was on here as advice a few years ago.

He's still going into a corner though, so doesn't want attention or food right now.

Any advice, I'd love it. My vet is closed today but theres a 24 hr one a few miles away that we may have to try.

It sounds as though you need to contact the 24hr Vet as a matter of urgency. The fact that your Rabbit feels cold to touch is a poor prognostic sign. As is the fact that he is not eating .

Has he had any poo output ? If not then there is a real risk of a gastrointestinal obstruction which is a surgical emergency. A full examination by a Rabbit Savy Vet is essential to rule out a GI tract obstruction. This should involve a full abdominal examination/auscultation, checking the blood glucose level and possibly an abdominal Xray.

Syringe feeding should not be attempted if a GI tract obstruction is suspected

In short my advice would be to contact the Vet now

Good luck

I agree with the advice already given, I would get him to the vets urgently. Sending lots of vibes.

Sounds like you need to see the vet. I wouldn't worry too much about ear temperatures though, it's only the body temperature that matters.

I agree vet is needed ASAP and add NO pineapple juice. It may contain too much natural sugar. Offer fresh moistened greens and syringe water.Sending vibes.

Don't ever worry about the crying wolf situation - a rabbit with those signs and symptoms is an emergency. It may be that the vet treats the symptoms but can't find the cause but that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong - a rabbit that isn't eating needs to be eating again urgently (as described above) so there is no crying wolf about this situation.

My insurance has always paid out without question even without a cause being identified which is a good indicator that a vet trip is necessary.

Have you got an update? I hope bunny is okay

Back