• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits grooming in the heat

I have a theory although its way off.

Could it possibly be because they're becoming warm, they're getting a little stressed, so grooming each other is to help reduce each others stress?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Well it's no longer hot, so any thoughts that the behaviour was prompted by the warm weather must have been wrong. The grooming continues and whilst it is so sweet to observe, changes in behaviour should be questionned right?

Surprisingly it is Tui who is doing the most of the grooming, although both rabbits are doing a lot. It would be really nice to be able to put this down to Tui developing a more loving nature towards Tethra, but with rabbits I suspect it might be a bit more complex than that. She was even at it whilst Tethra was trying to eat a few Apple sticks at 7am this morning!

Maybe it just took them a while to realise it feels nice. My less romantic suggestion is from my experience Mouse & Rudey did loads of this type of grooming, J&B just do a little. When I've been doing slow bonding / intercepting Mouse is receiving very thorough grooming by Joey. Boo doesn't get this (& I'd put money on her being Joeys favourite) so I'm assuming more groomies happen when there are aches & pains to soothe

I have a theory although its way off.

Could it possibly be because they're becoming warm, they're getting a little stressed, so grooming each other is to help reduce each others stress?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It could be caused by stress, although I've seen no evidence of it at other times and can't think why that would be something new. I don't think it could be anything to do with temperature, although I did wonder if this was the case when it first started as it was very hot. But the morning before last at 7am it was quite chilly outside and Tui was busy at it :)

Maybe it just took them a while to realise it feels nice. My less romantic suggestion is from my experience Mouse & Rudey did loads of this type of grooming, J&B just do a little. When I've been doing slow bonding / intercepting Mouse is receiving very thorough grooming by Joey. Boo doesn't get this (& I'd put money on her being Joeys favourite) so I'm assuming more groomies happen when there are aches & pains to soothe

I prefer your first suggestion :love: Soothing aches and pains could be the reason for Tui grooming Tethra, but I don't think that Tui has any for Tethra to soothe. I agree it's possible though that bunnies do this.

Back