Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbits grooming in the heat

Wise Old Thumper

Default Rabbits grooming in the heat

It's a sad fact that neither of my two rabbits are very free with giving their grooms and licks to their partner and it's not a sight you often see. So I find it especially interesting that for at least the last three afternoons both rabbits have been giving their partner enthusiastic and lengthy full body licks I haven't noticed how long it's been on the other days, but today it's been going on for at least 45 minutes and is still continuing. It's remarkable just how thorough they each are in covering the whole body

I think it's lovely to see, but I am wondering quite why they choose to do it on hot and humid days like this. Tui, in particular, is shedding soft white fur quite freely and I would have thought one of the last things you'd want when it's so hot would be a mouthful of fur

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    It's a sad fact that neither of my two rabbits are very free with giving their grooms and licks to their partner and it's not a sight you often see. So I find it especially interesting that for at least the last three afternoons both rabbits have been giving their partner enthusiastic and lengthy full body licks I haven't noticed how long it's been on the other days, but today it's been going on for at least 45 minutes and is still continuing. It's remarkable just how thorough they each are in covering the whole body

I think it's lovely to see, but I am wondering quite why they choose to do it on hot and humid days like this. Tui, in particular, is shedding soft white fur quite freely and I would have thought one of the last things you'd want when it's so hot would be a mouthful of fur
    That's so weird, mine do that normally, but in this heat there's none of that going on just lots of laying around maybe your buns find it cools them down?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mine are stubbornly ignoring each other as normal; I reckon we've had less grooming, not more!
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

aww, there's no sight quite so lovely. Well Mouse has nobun to groom her these days (you can tell) but theres nothing she enjoyed more than lying in fron of a roaring fire having full length grooms from Rudey whilst she groomed herself (dewlap & paws). J&B in a couple don't hardly groom each other & thats not changed in the heat. It does amaze me how they still lie so tightly together.

I hope we get more replies about grooming in the heat as its really quite interesting

I have noticed this with Dennis today. He is really following Maple around and tending to her moult. Generally they have quite time away from each other around lunchtime but he is joint to her hip today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No grooms going on here! Not unless you count the random lick on the nose that Britney gave Phillip earlier to try and wake him up

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    It does amaze me how they still lie so tightly together.
    B&W are doing this still, I can't understand it in this heat! Phillip is sensible and lies on the cool tiles on his own at the moment but the two girls insist on lying together. The only time I've seen them lie separately this week is when we put a frozen water bottle in the room and Whitney was so terrified of it that she wouldn't lie near Britney until we removed it!

Quote Originally Posted by nap91 View Post
    No grooms going on here! Not unless you count the random lick on the nose that Britney gave Phillip earlier to try and wake him up

B&W are doing this still, I can't understand it in this heat! Phillip is sensible and lies on the cool tiles on his own at the moment but the two girls insist on lying together. The only time I've seen them lie separately this week is when we put a frozen water bottle in the room and Whitney was so terrified of it that she wouldn't lie near Britney until we removed it!
    Apricot and Penelope always lay together right up against each other, even in the heat too

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    I have noticed this with Dennis today. He is really following Maple around and tending to her moult. Generally they have quite time away from each other around lunchtime but he is joint to her hip today

It appears then that my two are very much in the minority apart from Dennis Maple doesn't return the favour?

Tui is certainly moulting, but then she has been all Summer long. And Tethra isn't moulting at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    It appears then that my two are very much in the minority apart from Dennis Maple doesn't return the favour?

Tui is certainly moulting, but then she has been all Summer long. And Tethra isn't moulting at the moment.
    No thatís why Dennis is such a scruffbag - I do the grooming!

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    No that’s why Dennis is such a scruffbag - I do the grooming!

same with my Mousey