• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does hot weather reduce hay eating?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Bertie isn't eating as much hay as normal. He was at the vet on Monday and she is happy with him so I am wondering if the hot weather is disinclining him to the comparatively 'hard work' of hay eating.

My two are certainly not so enthusiastic about eating very much of any types of food in the heat. It's always sensible to be alert to any changes in behaviour though and so I would suggest, like me, you just keep observing very carefully.

Mine haven't been eating as much. They seem to be suffering more today despite it being about five degrees cooler! Im offering veg with a higher water content and putting out ice bottles etc for them. They've been so inactive all week, I'm praying we get a good thunderstorm later to really cool things down. Bad enough for us humans in the heat let alone wearing a furry coat!

Mine eat a lot less hay in summer which doesn't always match up with the increase in forage, so I suspect they just eat less as they don't need to keep as warm! I refilled their house hayrack for the first time in 3 or 4 weeks yesterday, and I only refilled about a third of it :roll: No idea how much they've eaten out of the hutch hayrack, I keep refilling it because Chibbs digs it all out :S

Back