• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

nail clipping and litter box problems

rabbitcoco

New Kit
Hi,

I have a few issues with my 8 month old female rabbit coco and was wondering if anyone had similar experiences and if so any suggestions how to overcome it.
- She was spayed 2 months ago, before spaying she allowed me to pick her up and clip her nails and now she is running away straight away when i start putting my hand underneath her, though i can pet her for hours when she's lying on the floor. Her nails are getting very long since vet clipped it 2 months ago.. she just won't let me touch her feet even when i'm petting her on the floor and there's not a chance i can pick her up to clip them either.
- The other problem we have is she won't stop peeing on my sofa and my bed, mostly i think when she is angry.. she has 2 litter boxes and she uses them and has no accidents anywhere in the house, but if i upset her for example she seems to hate when i'm cooking, the minute i turn the oven on she will start running around anxiously and will jump on the sofa and will pee on it before running out of the room.. she is free roaming and my living room is open plan so i don't have an option to close kitchen door.. she also gets annoyed if i try to get her out of the living room before i start cooking as if i close her in the separate room she will peen on the bed there.. though she uses litter boxes religiously all day if i'm not near the kitchen.. Help :)

I would either restrict her access to the beds eg by putting puppy pen panels round them, or put heavy waterproof covers on the beds (eg dog car seat covers).

Do you have any safe garden space that she can use? Running around outside would help to wear her nails down, and may provide some distraction from her unwanted behaviour. eg set up a pen for when you are cooking.

Have you thought about getting another rabbit to keep her company? A neutered male could make her a lot happier and less inclined to do the things that annoy you (although there is a small risk that they may both do it as well :?)

Thank you Shimmer, i definitely will try putting waterproof covers and maybe even puppy pen panels, hopefully she will stop it as she grows older..
We live in apartment so she doesn't go outside apart from balcony, i was thinking to get a harness and bring her out, but there are a lot of dogs around so kind of gave up on that idea..
i'd love to get her a friend, but my boyfriend thinks she is a handful on her own and doesn't want another rabbit in the apartment, maybe some day i will convince him.. though i'm a bit anxious she might not bond with other rabbit, she seems to be very bossy and doesn't even like me in certain areas of the apartment that she claims hers and if i go there she will lounge at me.. i thought that would be gone with spaying but maybe it's her personality..

Back