• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heidi is making funny noises

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone has had a bunny suddenly start making a lot of loud, almost snorty noises when eating? Heidi is about 8 and has never done it before - she buzzed around your feet in anticipation of food and sometimes growls if you drop more food near her when she’s already eating, but this is new. She is fine otherwise, acting normally. Any ideas? I’ll be booking her in for a check up in the week but would like to know if anyone has had anything similar.

Thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted to post a video of the sound but can’t work out how [emoji2368]

It could be the symptoms of the start of a respiratory tract infection or the early signs of a heart condition. She will need to be examined by a Vet :)

We’ve just been to the vet and Heidi has some baytril for a respiratory infection. Fingers crossed that will sort it and there’s nothing else underlying, though I’ve no idea how a house bunny can contract a respiratory infection [emoji2368]

Thanks, she has had a fan and has sometimes sat in front of it but not much. Could that have caused problems? Although, I think the snorting pre-dates the fan now I think about it.

Off to the vet again for a post-baytril checkup- no noticeable difference unfortunately though at least she’s still fine in herself.

She has a fan but it is at one end of her room and there are a lot more places she sits that aren’t in the path of the fan than are, so I think she does choose when she wants it and only sits there if she gets very warm.

Back