• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Penelope injured leg :(

Graciee

Staff member
There's something wrong with Penelopes back left leg :'( she's holding it weirdly and hopping funny...

Idk what to do :( I'll call a vet tomorrow but my ones not open til Monday

I'm so worried... There's not a chance this could not be serious is there? :'(

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh dear, hope she has just something simple like pins and needles. Sending vibes for your girl. x

Can you not ring the out of hours?

Have you checked her hocks? Maybe it's something simple like something stuck in the bottom of her foot or a tiny wound there. Just a thought.

Sending vibes for her.

Have you checked her hocks? Maybe it's something simple like something stuck in the bottom of her foot or a tiny wound there. Just a thought.

Sending vibes for her.
Yea I did :( they seem fine :(

They haven't really got anything in their run which could have caused her to injure it have they? It's a difficult situation as ideally you'd like to give her some pain relief, but I wouldn't do that until I knew what was causing it.

:( What is it with your buns & Saturday nights / OOH's. Is it splayed out at all?
Idek, it's like they just know :'( I can't stop crying

Not splayed, she sits weird (it's slightly further out than normal) and holds it up a little when she hops, and just isn't moving right :( she was out in the run earlier a lot I'm wondering if she's hurt it doing binkies :(

They haven't really got anything in their run which could have caused her to injure it have they? It's a difficult situation as ideally you'd like to give her some pain relief, but I wouldn't do that until I knew what was causing it.

I don't think so :( it's a clear open space except for the other hutch which has a tiny low ramp leading into it

If I were you I would phone the OOH and ask for advice. The issue is not rabbit specific and so a general vet's opinion will be fine.

Is she eating ok? Because that might be the next problem. What a worry for you :( xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were you I would phone the OOH and ask for advice. The issue is not rabbit specific and so a general vet's opinion will be fine.

that's a good point. I would trust a less savvy vet to manage injury better than illness & disease.

Loads of vibes Graicee

Is she eating ok? Because that might be the next problem. What a worry for you :( xx

She is still eating, I've trapped them upstairs in the hutch, so it's small, plus no ramp etc

But yea if it's painful she'll probably stop eating

Sorry to read that Penelope has got a mysterious leg injury.
Sending loads of vibes for Penelope and I hope that there’s some improvement by the morning. Xx

OOH is vets now, so you can't get advice, they just book you to see a normal vet, they don't have any exotics there :(

I just tried the place in Camden, but they're shut and there's just the place in potters bar, but Idk if they have exotics, may call them, that's where my dog died :(

I know what you are thinking about vets now - if they don’t know what they are looking at if might unnecessarily stress her out. I am wondering if you can get some pain relief in her till you can see a vet Monday perhaps? Or maybe phone vets now and talk over the phone before you actually bring her down? It’s a tricky situation and you’ll be able to
Judge the bested. Hugs xxx

I know what you are thinking about vets now - if they don’t know what they are looking at if might unnecessarily stress her out. I am wondering if you can get some pain relief in her till you can see a vet Monday perhaps? Or maybe phone vets now and talk over the phone before you actually bring her down? It’s a tricky situation and you’ll be able to
Judge the bested. Hugs xxx

Yea that's exactly it :(

Does Anton vets, have exotic cover 24 hours?

Yea that's exactly it :(

Does Anton vets, have exotic cover 24 hours?

Yeah they do, they never shut. I don’t know how far from you they would be. I wonder if you phone their emergency mobile number and just ask for some advice? I can give you the number . Do you have any metacam to hand as maybe you could ask a vet if you can give her some?

Yeah they do, they never shut. I don’t know how far from you they would be. I wonder if you phone their emergency mobile number and just ask for some advice? I can give you the number . Do you have any metacam to hand as maybe you could ask a vet if you can give her some?

Yea could I have the number please, their website isn't loading and Google just says they're shut, yea have some here, it's about a 2 hour drive according to Google

Back