• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Penelope injured leg :(

Yea could I have the number please, their website isn't loading and Google just says they're shut, yea have some here, it's about a 2 hour drive according to Google

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sent you the number private message xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a brainwave - I wonder if Fitzpatrick referrals could give some advice although they are probably more leg than bunny expert - I could be wrong

Sent you the number private message xx

Thank you so much xx

Idk if its bad to take her that far, she's not the best traveller [emoji21] it's so tricky with prey animals :(

Thank you so much xx

Idk if its bad to take her that far, she's not the best traveller [emoji21] it's so tricky with prey animals :(

I know what you mean. My Charlie had a funny leg all of a sudden and he just had metacam for it. He must of bashed it on something and eventually he developed arthritis on that leg and his spine. Realistically no vet is going to do anything but metacam and X-ray until the working week are they?

I know what you mean. My Charlie had a funny leg all of a sudden and he just had metacam for it. He must of bashed it on something and eventually he developed arthritis on that leg and his spine. Realistically no vet is going to do anything but metacam and X-ray until the working week are they?

Probably not, except the place in Camden, they open at 10.30am tomorrow tho [emoji21]

You know the round bit of the hind leg where the knee is, that whole leg area is like further out away from her body.. If that makes any sense [emoji21]

I would give her metacam and get her seen by a vet in the morning, then take her to your own on Monday. I medicate at home if I have what is needed, my vet is happy with this & I can’t imagine yours wouldn’t be with you giving metacam, given that they know you/that you’re knowledgable enough to do so.

I would give her metacam and get her seen by a vet in the morning, then take her to your own on Monday. I medicate at home if I have what is needed, my vet is happy with this & I can’t imagine yours wouldn’t be with you giving metacam, given that they know you/that you’re knowledgable enough to do so.

Agreed. Medicam will help with pain and inflammation. Not sure if bunnies have the same fluid filled sacs people have in some joints, if so a bump in the right place can result in a large bump appearing quickly. Is there a way you can wrap the area to keep it stable until it can be seen by a vet?
Seems like we both have bunnies that like to get ill when our regular vet is not available for days. Sending hugs.

Just caught up with this thread, really hope Penelope has had a good night, you too Graciee, sending loads of vibes for your girl xxx

She's still eating and moving about okay, she's putting weight on it too, I've got them confined still. Got an appointment with William tomorrow, but nowhere I've rung can do anything before then really. Only thing would be the place near Camden when it opens in 45 mins maybe. Feel sick no knowing what the best thing to do is. I just want xrays and someone who knows what they're doing to look at her and the xrays. I know William will be blunt and honest, which scares me but is also what's needed. He's exactly who she needs to see. I just wish it was today :(

Thanks everyone for the vibes xx

She's still eating and moving about okay, she's putting weight on it too, I've got them confined still. Got an appointment with William tomorrow, but nowhere I've rung can do anything before then really. Only thing would be the place near Camden when it opens in 45 mins maybe. Feel sick no knowing what the best thing to do is. I just want xrays and someone who knows what they're doing to look at her and the xrays. I know William will be blunt and honest, which scares me but is also what's needed. He's exactly who she needs to see. I just wish it was today :(

Thanks everyone for the vibes xx

If she is now weight bearing that is a good sign. She may 'just' have sprained her leg. Is the knee still looking to be at a strange angle ?

I assume you have checked all her toes/claws ?

If she is now weight bearing that is a good sign. She may 'just' have sprained her leg. Is the knee still looking to be at a strange angle ?

I assume you have checked all her toes/claws ?

I'm praying that's it, but so hard to know. Yea her leg looks entirely normal, it's just like she was holding it weird though, still in line, but out to the side, it's hard to explain - almost like where it meets the hip is dislocated or something, further out from where it's meant to be. I'm not saying it is, but I can't think how else to describe it. That's just when she's sitting, when she moved last night she'd sometimes walk and sometimes hop but hold it up a little.

Yea I checked those and her hocks, all looked okay. I can't believe she's hurt herself being happy in the run :(

Best wishes for a binky-related sprain: both Lopsy and Aboleth got these on front paws. I suspect their fronts were more susceptible than their back paws because mine had to jump on and off the windowsill... I suppose with Penelope it's like us, overdoing it while being overexcited :roll:

Topping up the vibes for Penelope. I agree with Jane - the fact Penelope is weight bearing - to any extent, is a positive sign, although it will be in their instinct to continue to hide any injury no matter how trivial or serious. An x-ray will rule out a break if there is one, but won't necessarily highlight any soft tissue damage. A skilled vets hand will be able to feel whethere there is resistance or if the leg is pulling normal. So I hope everything goes positive tomorrow at your vets. A diagnosis is a positive sign, but I know that it is also scary to get or hear what sometimes you don't want to hear. You want the vet to say that everything feels fine but then you'll wonder what happened and what set the injury off. On th eother hand, if the vet says it's this or that, at least you know what you are delaing with.
Loads of vibes for tomorrow. xx

Back