• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam dose for Sponge needed

loobers25

Warren Veteran
They have perscribed her 2ml of metacam twice a day and she needs one this evening. I only have the large syringe that comes with the metacam because Dennis is on a big dose.

Would any one mind looking to see what 2ml of metacam would be on the kg syringe provided?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked it out to be 30 on the metacam syringe but was using water. Wait for confirmation though

30 on that point on syringe - just 30 :lol: don't confuse me with kilos, theres only one 30 graduation

30 on that point on syringe - just 30 :lol: don't confuse me with kilos, theres only one 30 graduation

I feel like there must be an error somewhere because that is a lot of metacam. joe is staying firm they definitely said 2ml

I drew a 1ml syringe twice & sucked up twice in to metacam syringe. Its a thumb full for me but don't take my word as I says. 5ml is a teaspoon though that would be had to split to 2 fifths.

Someone help :wave:

I can't compare with a Metacam syringe, because I don't have one. However, the small syringes are 1ml aren't they, so 2ml would be a very large dose :shock: Tethra doesn't have anything like that much. I think if I were you I would contact the vets and ask.

I always find Metacam dosage so confusing :(

Last edited:
I worked it out to be 30 on the metacam syringe but was using water. Wait for confirmation though

This works out the same when I convert it too.

I wonder if it's 0.2ml she's been prescribed as that used to be Snowy's dose whenever she got stasis.

This works out the same when I convert it too.

I wonder if it's 0.2ml she's been prescribed as that used to be Snowy's dose whenever she got stasis.

This what I've been wondering too. Also I assume this is twice a day? Another way of looking at it is that my bottle holds 32ml. If Maple should have 2ml twice a day, then she would be having an eighth of a bottle a day, which can't be right.

I can't help... But Atticus was prescribed 2ml once when he was very bad, we carried that on for a few days after he was better, it's a much higher dose than he'd normally be given..

How much does she weigh? 0.2ml is like nothing... I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2ml tbh

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

There's a prescribing range isn't there? I know Mouse is at the mean end.
Yea, between 0.2ml/kg to 0.4ml/kg for the dog Metacam which is 1.5mg/ml - normally my Vet does the top end of this for normal stasis

But again, my Vet has prescribed much higher dose to be used for a few days when Atticus was in a lot of pain and had an obstruction

If I was you, I'd give it tonight and call in the morning (unless they have out of hours who can check what dose was prescribed?)

Ok so I had to call because I was unsure OH had heard correctly. They measured it up with water for me and Booblys mum was right - 30kg twice daily until Monday when I speak to vet to review dosage

Thank you Joey&boo

Yea, between 0.2ml/kg to 0.4ml/kg for the dog Metacam which is 1.5mg/ml - normally my Vet does the top end of this for normal stasis

But again, my Vet has prescribed much higher dose to be used for a few days when Atticus was in a lot of pain and had an obstruction

If I was you, I'd give it tonight and call in the morning (unless they have out of hours who can check what dose was prescribed?)

Thankfully they have a vet there all night every night. We are very lucky to have an exotic vet that never closes for emergencies

Glad you got it confirmed by the vet. I guess it makes sense they want to keep her on a higher dose for now, otherwise she might slide backwards if she's still in pain.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Given Maple's extended stay due to her pain, 2ml sounds about right. Lopsy was on about the same after his stasis episodes but only for 3-5 days. He's 2.4kg for reference.

Back