Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Single Does?

Default Lack of Single Does?

My 10 year old rabbit lost his partner last year. I keep going backwards and forwards about wether or not I want to keep rabbits after he has passed on. That being said, I seem to be looking for a partner for him daily.

That brings me on to my question - where are all the single Does? Iím in Berkshire and I am struggling to find any single, female buns in rescues nearby. Are they just in high demand? Or do the rescues instantly bond them to rehome as a pair?

Any thoughts?

Wise Old Thumper

We have single does ready soon but mainly youngsters.
    Jill

We always struggle for single females and have a huge waiting list of people looking for one.

We seem to get lots of single males into rescue. One of my fosters had been with me nearly a year after being born in rescue despite the fact that hes small and cute and pretty. He was so desperately lonely so I adopted him myself to bond with existing pair.
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

Warren Veteran

Lots of people buy F-F pairs, thinking it's easier than getting any neutered.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Stator View Post
    Lots of people buy F-F pairs, thinking it's easier than getting any neutered.
    Of course. I hadnít thought of that. If only people realised there are important health benefits to spaying females!

My boy was bonded to another buck originally. Whatís the likelihood of that working out again?!

Mama Doe

I would give it a go with another boy. As long as both are neutered, I find it an easier bond. It also gives you more options.

I do aswell but some rescues are reluctant to try male/male intros as its often percieved to be more likely to break down in the future. Personally speaking my male only pairs/groups were the most stable so I'd happily try it for someone if the rescue asked me to.
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

Wise Old Thumper

I don't know what age you are looking for, but I've just seen Nessie, a 3 year old Doe, on ARC website (Twickenham) She's lush https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/w...0666964877.jpg

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I don't know what age you are looking for, but I've just seen Nessie, a 3 year old Doe, on ARC website (Twickenham) She's lush https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/w...0666964877.jpg
    Oh my word!

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Thank you Omi. I have just applied 🤞