• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upsettting subject - Keeping pets Ashes

I do something different to mark each of my bunnies passing. I was gutted when a Monkey Puzzle tree I bought to commemorate Ralph died a few years later - but I'd written one of my little books to detail his essential Ralphness.

I have "secret rabbits" on my lime plastered walls in various spots, drawn in to or moulded with lime. They are secret as not visible unless you point them out (OH didn't notice til I showed him a few weeks ago:lol:) - until I came to do Rudey, couldn't bear for him to be secret so he's bit on obvious side (the anxiety in Bob's voice as he tentatively asked if he'd be painted black was hilarious). I am also doing a massive multi media thing of Rudey - never done anything like this is my life & I expect it will turn out looking ridculous

I've only ever had Toffee bun cremated, his little casket is in Treacles room with his photo by the side, and his little knitted teddy that he loved :love:

Our first two bunnies to die (Lola and Bubbles) are both buried in a large planter in the garden. When Alfie died, I decided to get him cremated and bought a personalised heart shaped wooden box for his ashes. I used a small amount of the ashes to have a karma bead made too.

Skye (our moggy) was cremated and I got a handmade pottery urn from Etsy. Kane (our dog) was cremated and his ashes are in a jar with a handpainted portrait of him on, also from Etsy. There isn't much choice of casket from our vets tbh so we always opt for the scatter tube and choose something appropriate online. All of them are kept in our living room cabinet (glass doors) as I like to have a permanent reminder of the major part they've played in our family's life.

We've buried lots of hamsters and gerbils in various pots in the garden but the most recently departed have been cremated (my daughter works at the vet so we're 'lucky' that it's very inexpensive for her to have the ashes back but, as Liz mentioned, my daughter's also been on a tour of the pet crematorium and would also be comfortable with a mass cremation if the cost was an issue) and ashes scattered.
0cb69a267f609342590c87439edeb5d9.jpg

A local green space has put up a 'Last Post' - basically a 5' high stand-alone wooden fence post that dog owners can put their dog's name tag on as a remembrance. I've not seen that before, but I like the idea.
That's a nice idea. We still have Kane's tag (it was hand stamped in copper) and don't think I could part with the actual thing but I would have another made up.

The take home message from this thread is that I'm never going to ride a bike or have a compost heap. [emoji23][emoji23]

All of my passed animals are buried in the garden, except my last dog and Fleur which I have their ashes, they aren't opened or on display anywhere, I feel weird about it, plus not my kinda thing.. Fleur is actually under my bed [emoji38] and Millie is in the front room amongst some of my boxes. I have her collar and tags under my bed too, and I have her entire toy box with all her leads still, but again I haven't opened it in maybe 6 years [emoji51] I know it's weird.. But I'll take it all with me when I move. I'm really weird with death tho.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Our first two bunnies to die (Lola and Bubbles) are both buried in a large planter in the garden. When Alfie died, I decided to get him cremated and bought a personalised heart shaped wooden box for his ashes. I used a small amount of the ashes to have a karma bead made too.

Skye (our moggy) was cremated and I got a handmade pottery urn from Etsy. Kane (our dog) was cremated and his ashes are in a jar with a handpainted portrait of him on, also from Etsy. There isn't much choice of casket from our vets tbh so we always opt for the scatter tube and choose something appropriate online. All of them are kept in our living room cabinet (glass doors) as I like to have a permanent reminder of the major part they've played in our family's life.

We've buried lots of hamsters and gerbils in various pots in the garden but the most recently departed have been cremated (my daughter works at the vet so we're 'lucky' that it's very inexpensive for her to have the ashes back but, as Liz mentioned, my daughter's also been on a tour of the pet crematorium and would also be comfortable with a mass cremation if the cost was an issue) and ashes scattered.
0cb69a267f609342590c87439edeb5d9.jpg

I never knew they did anything like that on Etsy, that would be really nice for my ashes. My mum said she would transfer them so I didn’t have to. They are just like this at the moment. Thank you for sharing, I am going to look on Etsy now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ec4806ad9cd9cd2e77682e165141cb1b.jpg

Toby and Millie. The nice things are from Joey&boo which I am so greatful for. I keep telling myself I will get round to it when it doesn’t hurt so bad but it still does

ec4806ad9cd9cd2e77682e165141cb1b.jpg

Toby and Millie. The nice things are from Joey&boo which I am so greatful for. I keep telling myself I will get round to it when it doesn’t hurt so bad but it still does

:love: Sending hugs xx

I never knew they did anything like that on Etsy, that would be really nice for my ashes. My mum said she would transfer them so I didn’t have to. They are just like this at the moment. Thank you for sharing, I am going to look on Etsy now.

It's a shame that most of it's in the US but there are more UK sellers popping up all the time. I hope you find something suitable when you feel ready. Xx

The take home message from this thread is that I'm never going to ride a bike or have a compost heap. [emoji23][emoji23]
A pleasant sunny afternoon cycle. Suddenly you get a blast of Mike's ashes in your eye, you'll veer off course and land straight onto Omi in her compost heap!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Only have Mr B in a brass urn on display. I have one section of our wardrobe with caskets of our cat, bunnies, hamsters, chinchillas and a foster degu who was so neglected when he arrived and passed away not long after I had him.

Back