• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Purchased oat, wheat & barley hay is it okay?

Rackeluk

Warren Scout
I have purchased a Oat, Wheat and Barley hay, it’s 32% fibre, is that too high? The protein level is 7%.

Lily is 12 weeks and Max is 21 weeks.

UxmiQt5.jpg

Dx1yxIn.jpg

I have purchased a Oat, Wheat and Barley hay, it’s 32% fibre, is that too high? The protein level is 7%.

Lily is 12 weeks and Max is 21 weeks.

No, you would expect hay to have a high fibre content. That's why it's so beneficial to rabbits. This article explains all the different types of hay for rabbits.http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/grass-hay.asp

If I were you, I would aim to just get a grass hay like Timothy (if they like stalky hay) or Meadow (if they prefer it to be softer) in the future. But what you've got will be OK for now :)

Maybe just feed as a treat hay? Have you seen the hay you can order online from hayboxclub or timothyhay.co.uk? They do nice treat hays too and a lot cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I’ll have a look thank you.

I was told rabbits are fussy and like a change or they get bored...

I put meadow Timothy hay in the litter tray and feeding dandelion hay in the hay feeder.

Oh I’ll have a look thank you.

I was told rabbits are fussy and like a change or they get bored...

I put meadow Timothy hay in the litter tray and feeding dandelion hay in the hay feeder.

I think the trick is to try and find something they love and they will eat it all day everyday. Stalky hay from hayboxclub gets eaten all round the clock. It’s really nice quality too. Maybe too much variety will make them fussy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seek advice from everyone I can and unfortunately some advice is questionable.

I’ll definitely look at the hay box club.

I use hay bales from a local horse supply shop. Cheaper and good quality. As long as they eat it, it doesn't have to be expensive or in fancy packaging. They do like a fresh supply daily, though, even though it is the 'same' hay - so top up the feeders regularly.

Yes I replace the hay everyday, Max knocks over the hay feeder everyday I need to get a hay feeder and litter tray built in, I put the meadow hay in the litter tray as I’ve noticed he doesn’t like the feeding hay on his litter box, what he has started doing I pooing all round the edge of the litter tray, someone told me that he maybe trying to tell Lily that this is his toilet and for her to use the other one.

Back