Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Rups diet

  1. #1
    Mama Doe Cuthbert&Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    East Lancashire.
    Posts
    3,471

    Default Rups diet

    Hi, my bunnies have some pellets, some greens, hay - three different kinds, access to herbs, plants and grass outside.
    He has toys stuff to chew on, stuff to throw about, stuff to leap over and on, he has access to the house to run and play.
    He has company albeit behind a fence with Susan. He will go and sit in the sunshine (in the leanto) on a mat with the cat (the cat moves away) he will climb on the furniture but as yet hasn't eaten the wooden chairs or book cases!
    We do have logs in the garden and some in the lounge where they are for the wood burner but they have been left alone. Even the basket for kindling. The basket for newspapers is however long eaten
    When he came I was given (by rescue) a toy that on googling you give to rats and rodents to gnaw on. I was told it was his favourite. I have not given it to him as I am not sure of its appropriateness for rabbits.
    Rups however insists on eating wall paper and rugs, he will if he can find it eat cardboard and paper - I have to beat him to the postman!
    He gets sticks from the apple tree, plum tree and raspberry canes, blackberry brambles and because i didnt put it high enough part of my fig tree
    At his last vets check (early July) for his vac's his teeth were checked and fine.
    Oh and he is in massive moult down, he looks like he needs hoovering!

    Could it be he is missing something from his diet? Is there something else I can give him. Advice would be really welcome.

  2. #2
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    37,512

    Default

    Frosty eats cardboard and it causes him gut slowdowns so I don’t give him them. I think his gut slows down during Moult so I try to groom as much as possible out. He peels paper off plasterboard and ate a hole through in a couple of places. Mine also get hay, they eat lots thankfully, apple sticks Fibafirst sticks and forage. I think Frosty might crave fibre when he’s in moult. I just remembered I never sent you the fibafirst sticks for them to try when you sent me your address before, I’m so sorry life and it’s ups And downs got in the way but I could send you some to see if he liked them? I think some are just bad chewers.

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    19,650

    Default

    It sounds to me as though his diet is absolutely fine. I don't think his interest in rugs, cardboard and paper is caused by anything lacking. I think he just enjoys chewing those things Tui is very similar. They always have a cardboard box in the shed, which is to provide a safe place for them. It starts off being fine and then over time she tears bits off. Mostly I don't think she is eating them. It's just the fun of doing it. I don't give them rugs or anything made of fabric, as I think they would be chewed or used as a toilet.

    The main worry I think is if Rups ingests the bits he is tearing off, which obviously could cause issues. If he's not doing that, I really wouldn't be concerned.

  4. #4
    Warren Veteran loobers25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    6,632

    Default

    Dennis would eat anything he could give the chance I think they just enjoy doing so? Ruperts diet seems perfect to me


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Mama Doe Cuthbert&Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    East Lancashire.
    Posts
    3,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Frosty eats cardboard and it causes him gut slowdowns so I don’t give him them. I think his gut slows down during Moult so I try to groom as much as possible out. He peels paper off plasterboard and ate a hole through in a couple of places. Mine also get hay, they eat lots thankfully, apple sticks Fibafirst sticks and forage. I think Frosty might crave fibre when he’s in moult. I just remembered I never sent you the fibafirst sticks for them to try when you sent me your address before, I’m so sorry life and it’s ups And downs got in the way but I could send you some to see if he liked them? I think some are just bad chewers.
    Thank you and no worries about the sticks, life is complicated enough at the moment isnt it It was incase of gut slow down that I worry, thank you for your answers.

  6. #6
    Mama Doe Cuthbert&Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    East Lancashire.
    Posts
    3,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    It sounds to me as though his diet is absolutely fine. I don't think his interest in rugs, cardboard and paper is caused by anything lacking. I think he just enjoys chewing those things Tui is very similar. They always have a cardboard box in the shed, which is to provide a safe place for them. It starts off being fine and then over time she tears bits off. Mostly I don't think she is eating them. It's just the fun of doing it. I don't give them rugs or anything made of fabric, as I think they would be chewed or used as a toilet.

    The main worry I think is if Rups ingests the bits he is tearing off, which obviously could cause issues. If he's not doing that, I really wouldn't be concerned.
    They have fleeces in their houses, which I swop daily they also have a bear each - neither of which get eaten, however the rug (made of a really coarse fibre and stretches from lounge through the dining room into the leanto as Susan can not manage laminate) he eats with gusto! He understands "ack ack" as a method of stopping him and wanders off in search of other things to do but he does ingest.
    Thank you Omi for your help.

  7. #7
    Mama Doe Cuthbert&Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    East Lancashire.
    Posts
    3,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    Dennis would eat anything he could give the chance I think they just enjoy doing so? Ruperts diet seems perfect to me


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you Loobers, I do think he likes different things he will eat so many more things than Susan. When he first came he was like a Tasmanian devil for dried cat food, we no longer have the fruit bowl on the dining table as he could get onto the chairs and up onto the table, the book case has had to be closed in with wood at the bottom to stop him eating books. The other thing is he has a wooden hay rack made from left over wood from Susans house - he doesnt eat that but if he gets in Susans house (when she is playing out) he eats the wood its made from. Perhaps he is just strange.

  8. #8
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    37,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert&Dillon View Post
    Thank you and no worries about the sticks, life is complicated enough at the moment isnt it It was incase of gut slow down that I worry, thank you for your answers.
    My life was already complicated before the virus I can try to send you some if you think he would like them?

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

  9. #9
    Mama Doe Cuthbert&Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    East Lancashire.
    Posts
    3,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    My life was already complicated before the virus I can try to send you some if you think he would like them?
    Thank you but no thank you, he has refused nothing I have put in front of his paws including my wellies, newspaper basket, a cactus (ready for posting) a cheque book belonging to work and on the telephone table (he shouldnt be able to reach) duplo, the skirting board, the door frame and a newly decorated wall. So I could be quietly confident he would eat them!

  10. #10
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    37,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert&Dillon View Post
    Thank you but no thank you, he has refused nothing I have put in front of his paws including my wellies, newspaper basket, a cactus (ready for posting) a cheque book belonging to work and on the telephone table (he shouldnt be able to reach) duplo, the skirting board, the door frame and a newly decorated wall. So I could be quietly confident he would eat them!
    he sounds a bit of a monkey!

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •