• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does moulting lower immune system (mites/ lice) ?

elaine84

Warren Scout
I have 4 house rabbits who are all moulting, and 2 of the buns have 'salt and pepper' moving specks on their fur :'(
I think they're some kind of mites from the hay (I've been told rabbits don't get lice?) but I don't know why only 2 of them have them. I've read their immune systems could be down if mites are showing - does moulting cause this? Do I need to buy different hay or will there always be mites and I can only see them because they've got out of control due to lower immunity?
I don't understand how immunity keeps mites under control anyway?
My rabbits have 8 different types of hay so it's going to be a pain knowing which caused it!!

I have 4 house rabbits who are all moulting, and 2 of the buns have 'salt and pepper' moving specks on their fur :'(
I think they're some kind of mites from the hay (I've been told rabbits don't get lice?) but I don't know why only 2 of them have them. I've read their immune systems could be down if mites are showing - does moulting cause this? Do I need to buy different hay or will there always be mites and I can only see them because they've got out of control due to lower immunity?
I don't understand how immunity keeps mites under control anyway?
My rabbits have 8 different types of hay so it's going to be a pain knowing which caused it!!

Moulting can make the Bunny a bit 'run down'. If the Rabbits do have mites they will need treatment. So a Vet consult is needed.

Some additional information here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...res that,rabbits skin are called Cheyletiella.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Moulting is a stressful time for Bunnies so it could cause them to come out with Mites. Will your Vet see them? I have never had a problem with hay. Good luck.

Thank you for your replies and the links. Yes they’re booked in at the vets. I’m wondering if I need to throw away all my hay and buy elsewhere, or if the mites will appear from any hay as it’s due to them being run down instead? Seeing as my other two buns aren’t showing any symptoms.

Thank you for your replies and the links. Yes they’re booked in at the vets. I’m wondering if I need to throw away all my hay and buy elsewhere, or if the mites will appear from any hay as it’s due to them being run down instead? Seeing as my other two buns aren’t showing any symptoms.

I honestly wouldn't throw away good quality hay. I'd just make sure that the Vet gives both symptomatic Bunnies a thorough health check. You are likely to need to treat the asymptomatic Rabbits too. Good luck :)

Ok thank you :) It's just confusing as it says treat the environment too but surely if they're in the hay they'll reinfect the buns? Will also see what the vet says x

Ok thank you :) It's just confusing as it says treat the environment too but surely if they're in the hay they'll reinfect the buns? Will also see what the vet says x

In theory it's true that the hay could be a vector of transmission, but IME it has never been the case. If you would feel happier disposing of your current hay and buying in new then I would do so. But there's no guarantee that the new batch will not be a vector of transmission too. Personally I do think that Cheyletiella mites only becomes a problem for a Rabbit who is in some way health compromised x

Just thought I’d update. Buns all went to the vet and had checkups. All totally fine (touch wood) just moulting, ivermectin has got rid of all the mites. Vet thinks it was probably moulting that caused the stress / mites.

Just thought I’d update. Buns all went to the vet and had checkups. All totally fine (touch wood) just moulting, ivermectin has got rid of all the mites. Vet thinks it was probably moulting that caused the stress / mites.

Hi again, thanks for the update and I am glad to hear that all is well for the Bunnies now :D

Back