• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Daphne

So the vet has prescribed some baytril as a precaution. My dad is going to collect it and start her ASAP.

In terms of panacur I have a couple questions.

Treat both buns is obvious, do I treat them both for 28 days?

Deep clean on day 21 & 28 including all blankets, throw out anything I can't clean etc?

Any forage that may help to increase her immune system, even slightly?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I'm glad that the vet has prescribed Baytril for her. It seems that your Mum is doing really well with the syringe feeds, which must be a huge relief for you. It's not the easiest task in the world if you're not used to doing it and it can become quite daunting.

I've no experience with the deep clean on days 21 and 28, but as J&B said it can't hurt.

Regarding forage and the immune system, I think if it were me I would focus on providing a really good variety of different types of wild plants to give a good spread of different nutrients. I think that building up the immune system with forage, if it indeed works, will take effect over a long period and what Daphne probably needs is short term benefits for now. This is just a personal view :)

I'm glad that the vet has prescribed Baytril for her. It seems that your Mum is doing really well with the syringe feeds, which must be a huge relief for you. It's not the easiest task in the world if you're not used to doing it and it can become quite daunting.

I've no experience with the deep clean on days 21 and 28, but as J&B said it can't hurt.

Regarding forage and the immune system, I think if it were me I would focus on providing a really good variety of different types of wild plants to give a good spread of different nutrients. I think that building up the immune system with forage, if it indeed works, will take effect over a long period and what Daphne probably needs is short term benefits for now. This is just a personal view :)

I agree with this :)

Agreed. Mostly I concerned myself with just making sure nourishment went in to Mimzy and of course since he was largely unable to properly position himself to use his bottle or bowl, I made sure he got proper fluids. Learning to do sub q's was a challenge! He was quite debilitated for 6 months and in Alaska, forage was limited to a few short summer months.

The cleaning and panacur therapy sounds spot on too. I just went mad cleaning every day anyway, having 2 other bunnies to protect from infection, not to mention other pets who could carry pathogens about the house.

So ive just seen her. The head tilt is definitely more pronounced and she is definately reduced in balance.

I've given her the panacur and metacam tonight, plus a little extra feed. I'll ask if my parents can offer her extra water in a syringe each time she is fed, just to be sure its all washing down properly.

I've put hay literally everywhere to encourage her own eating. Loads of tiny black poos around which we assume is hers as Phoebe hs big ones.

This is the treatment plan, does it look about right? Anything I'm missing?

I'll be trying to get here most nights to see her progress etc. And to make sure my parents aren't doing everything. Dad has been main bun carer today as mum has been at work. I'm so very grateful for them.

0990ba0e874a1b4b0754ffd98c25fc52.jpg

So ive just seen her. The head tilt is definitely more pronounced and she is definately reduced in balance.

I've given her the panacur and metacam tonight, plus a little extra feed. I'll ask if my parents can offer her extra water in a syringe each time she is fed, just to be sure its all washing down properly.

I've put hay literally everywhere to encourage her own eating. Loads of tiny black poos around which we assume is hers as Phoebe hs big ones.

This is the treatment plan, does it look about right? Anything I'm missing?

I'll be trying to get here most nights to see her progress etc. And to make sure my parents aren't doing everything. Dad has been main bun carer today as mum has been at work. I'm so very grateful for them.

0990ba0e874a1b4b0754ffd98c25fc52.jpg

It may be better to give the Metacam in 12 hourly doses, so 0.4ml every 12 hours rather than 0.8ml every 24 hours. But obviously check with the Vet first. Metacam can even be prescribed at a dose rate of 1mg/kg/day

https://veterinary-practice.com/article/meloxicam-as-analgesic-for-rabbits

I had head tilt bunnies in the past and the tilt and balance issues got worse for a couple days before meds began working. I agree with oral or sub q fluids.
You are fortunate your parents are so good at helping.
You may need to check the down eye too.
Sending more vibes.

I have no experience to offer but I will send lots and lots of vibes. Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad bunny face (picture). the tilt isn't as severe as any I've ever seen. Its quite subtle. Shes been able to get up and down the two tier hutch as her own choice (trying to avoid me.offering her food to nibble).

I'm not seeing her eat of her own accord. She has around 15ml every 4 hours from my dad, which isn't enough to sustain her but she is at least eating something at that time.

I'll pick some forage when I come back tomorrow to provide her some more and see if she'll eat.

Is it safe of me to assume that the tiny black faeces I see is hers?

69bb39703643eb1ce8ef910721768ee7.jpg

she is so beautiful.

I think its safe to assume if there is decent sized poop & tiny ones the latter belong to Daphne. I hope she can be tempted to eat some nice forage & top up the recovery feeds

Sad bunny face (picture). the tilt isn't as severe as any I've ever seen. Its quite subtle. Shes been able to get up and down the two tier hutch as her own choice (trying to avoid me.offering her food to nibble).

I'm not seeing her eat of her own accord. She has around 15ml every 4 hours from my dad, which isn't enough to sustain her but she is at least eating something at that time.

I'll pick some forage when I come back tomorrow to provide her some more and see if she'll eat.

Is it safe of me to assume that the tiny black faeces I see is hers?

69bb39703643eb1ce8ef910721768ee7.jpg
dear daphnephoebe,--here is my poop link as it always was a help[ful reminder,-- http://www.bio,miami.edu/hare/poop.html topping off the luv vibs sincerelt james waller from the other kent,-still under nazi control-usa

Oh Daphne :love: Yes, I think you're pretty safe in assuming that the tiny black faeces are hers.

Sending her lots of vibes for overnight and I hope she will be tempted by some forage tomorrow.

Oh wow. What a beautiful sweet face you have Daphne. :love:
Bundles and bundles of vibes for Daphne and Leo sends special nose licks for her.:love:

Yes, head tilt often gets worse or lingers a long time before seeing improvement. I had lots of pressure from family and strangers to just pts. It took months before he even looked as good as Daphne does now and he lived another 5 years.

As far as getting on and off things, you may find she's going to need all ground level accommodations for awhile, just in case balance goes completely pear shaped and she takes a tumble. Head tilt from any cause sometimes results in spontaneous barrel rolls from which they cannot extricate themselves. (Hopefully your vet has mentioned this.)

Oh bless her, hope those meds get to work fast and do their job. Sending your girlie loads more vibes xx you and your parents are doing a wonderful job xx

Yes, head tilt often gets worse or lingers a long time before seeing improvement. I had lots of pressure from family and strangers to just pts. It took months before he even looked as good as Daphne does now and he lived another 5 years.

As far as getting on and off things, you may find she's going to need all ground level accommodations for awhile, just in case balance goes completely pear shaped and she takes a tumble. Head tilt from any cause sometimes results in spontaneous barrel rolls from which they cannot extricate themselves. (Hopefully your vet has mentioned this.)

The vet hadn't mentioned this but I have seen it in the past in severe cases. Its difficult to make their accommodation ground level due to the nature of their housing. Its pretty much ground level but she has to do one jump to a step to get into her favourite "I feel sick, keep me safe space". The two teir hutch can be closed off but she only attempts to go up if shes being pestered by a human, otherwise she just snuggles into the blanket on the bottom level, surrounded by hay. (It seems to be her new litter area as I guess its easier to get to)

I am at least pleased to say that I sat in their housing for a while before I left and I watched Daphne pick up two pieces of hay to eat, then go searching for the water bowl to have a nice big drink. Eating is nothing compared to Phoebe trying to stuff as much hay in her mouth at once but I can't have it all.

Back