• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Daphne

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
I've just had a call from my mum that Daphne isn't well. She concered as no interest in food, one of her ears is down (tell tale sign that she feels very ill). And she's holding her head slightly sideways.

I've said possibly teeth as she has a history of spurs, possibly EC, possibly just stasis, possibly ear infection. Either way mum is trying to get an appointment now as she's not eating.

I may be driving there tonight so I can help look after her overnight.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I've never been so worried. Being away from them makes it so much harder. I always worry when they get ill but being unable to be there, to stroke her and obsess over her. I'm worried. Especially as they're now outdoor rabbits.

So sorry to hear this, sending a million vibes for your girl, really hope that she is ok xxx

I'm so sorry that Daphne is unwell [emoji17] I really hope the vet can find out what is wrong and quickly get her on the road to recovery xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Oh no :( sending lots of vibes. I hope she will be ok soon :( poor girly xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's just being assessed by the vets now. Mum is calling me at each step to update me. I've just realised the girls vaccines have lapsed while looking for their insurance paperwork so im hoping its nothing related to an illness we can vaccinate against.

Only other thing I can think is that something got mixed into their forage as mum collects forage while walking the dog each day. She normally withholds anything she can't identify until I confirm if its safe or not.

Update: Teeth are fine.
They suspect maybe EC but sent her home on metacam, syringe feed and emprid (gut stimulant?).

They want to see if shes passing faeces before next steps.

Should I be asking for panacur if they suspect EC? It seems odd to send her away without it if they suspect it.

I'm driving down tonight to show mum how to syringe feed and to monitor her for a couple hours.

Update: Teeth are fine.
They suspect maybe EC but sent her home on metacam, syringe feed and emprid (gut stimulant?).

They want to see if shes passing faeces before next steps.

Should I be asking for panacur if they suspect EC? It seems odd to send her away without it if they suspect it.

I'm driving down tonight to show mum how to syringe feed and to monitor her for a couple hours.

It sounds as though they are wanting to treat it as a stasis/digestive issue for now. I would see how she looks when you visit tonight. If her head is still a bit lop-sided, then yes Panacur should be given in my view. Also maybe ask about the possibility of an ear infection with maybe abx to cover that option.

Lots of vibes. I think I'd be happier to start panacur sooner - maybe you could call them & get their ok? They may have their reasons for delay. You can buy it at Pets@home if that was more convenient

Another update. I've just been in with her.
Definately signs of EC or ear infection although I'm going more toward EC at this moment in time. Shes got a slight tilt, and is unbalanced on her hind legs, making a few circles (wide, as if confused where she is).

The vets did discuss EC treatment and said need to treat both of them if we take that option.

She took a good 15ml syringe and ate approx another 5 to 10 ml from a spoon on my lap and eventually took her stimulant. Mum has given the metacam as a priority before I arrived.

I've brought some plantin, yarrow and brambles with me for both of the girls. She wasn't interested but had just eaten a fair amount of recovery so I'm happy.

Sorry to hear Daphne is unwell. Having had two bunnies who went through head tilt/EC issues I'd say better panacur than not at all. I don't think it has negative effects if there's no need for it and head tilt can get really bad really quickly if it sets in.
I hope she will improve overnight and that this has been nipped in the bud. Thinking of you and sending healing vibes your way. xxxx

Back