• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Daphne

Sorry to hear Daphne is unwell. Having had two bunnies who went through head tilt/EC issues I'd say better panacur than not at all. I don't think it has negative effects if there's no need for it and head tilt can get really bad really quickly if it sets in.
I hope she will improve overnight and that this has been nipped in the bud. Thinking of you and sending healing vibes your way. xxxx
I was going to ask mum to get some just in case but forgot. Hopefully waiting until tomorrow wont make her too bad
I've warned that if it is EC it could leave her with a permanent head tilt/balance issues.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Mimzy did have a 90 degree tilt for months after his initial battle with the illness, but over the years he began to come back to more of a 45 degree tilt. And of course it was so weird to see him under anesthesia and have his head be totally normal upon waking and before the sedative wore off completely. As soon as those vestibular nerves woke up though, click and he was back to seeing the world sideways again! :(

The good thing is you have metacam into her already and that reduces a lot of the inflammation associated with this condition. But I'd go ahead and do the panacur first thing if you can get it early in the a.m. :thumb: Has the vet given you a dose to use on her and Phoebe?

Mimzy did have a 90 degree tilt for months after his initial battle with the illness, but over the years he began to come back to more of a 45 degree tilt. And of course it was so weird to see him under anesthesia and have his head be totally normal upon waking and before the sedative wore off completely. As soon as those vestibular nerves woke up though, click and he was back to seeing the world sideways again! :(

The good thing is you have metacam into her already and that reduces a lot of the inflammation associated with this condition. But I'd go ahead and do the panacur first thing if you can get it early in the a.m. :thumb: Has the vet given you a dose to use on her and Phoebe?
Haven't been provided any panacur which has me concerned about this vets. They've also only got her on metacam once a day.

I live an hour away and back at home now. I'll be calling the vets in the morning and requesting it, that way I can pay over the phone for my dad to collect to give to her ASAP.

My vet and I took Mimzy's once daily dose of metacam, which was a maximum of 0.6 mls a day for most of his life due to early onset arthritis, and split it into two 0.3 mls doses given 12 hours apart for more effective coverage. :thumb: It's something you can only do with rabbits, apparently, as my current vet would not agree to allow me to split my dog, Jenna's, dose like this. They just metabolize it differently.

Thank you everyone for the support.

I had an update just past 6am. She accepted her syringe feed well and took medicine well. She still has a head tilt but not sure if its become worse or stayed stable.

She doesn't appear to be eating of her own accord. Not due to a lack of appetite from what I saw last night. Could it be that she's struggling to locate her food with the tilt/dizzy feeling?

Calling the vets during my break today to discuss the treatment plan with them. I don't believe they would prescribe the liquid as there is a licenced alternative which is what i believe they'll try to give me but i would like to discuss the possibility of needed antibiotics. As shes eating/taking feeding well I cant imagine they'll want her to go back in for that.

Once I finish work I'll go buy some panacur 10% liquid and drive straight to her and spend the afternoon/evening with her. If need be I can stay over night, tonight as well.

I did think something was off with her last time I visited but was nothing to see as she was her usual sassy self, munching away on everything in sight and hating me.for doing nail cutting. I've been dreaming about them a lot too, which is normally a sign something is wrong.

I hope that the Vet will prescribe both Panacur and a covering abx in the absence of a definitive diagnosis. At least by doing that both EC and otitis are covered. Sending more vibes xx

Dad has sent me a video
Shes active, enjoying the syringe food. She was having a wash balancing on hind legs so that's a nice sign.

I'll buy panacur myself and take that to her tonight, but when I eventually get hold of vets ill ask about antibiotics for the possibility of ear infection.

ETA: they're going to speak to the vet about antibiotics and get back to me. I've let them know I'll give her the panacur tonight as I'll get it from elsewhere.

Last edited:
Sending vibes for Daphne, having experience of head tilt i would definitely try and treat with both panacur and antibiotics if you can until you know exactly which one it is. Also even if she is left as a tilty bun they manage incredibly well. Fingers crossed for her xxx

So the vet has prescribed some baytril as a precaution. My dad is going to collect it and start her ASAP.

In terms of panacur I have a couple questions.

Treat both buns is obvious, do I treat them both for 28 days?

Deep clean on day 21 & 28 including all blankets, throw out anything I can't clean etc?

Any forage that may help to increase her immune system, even slightly?

So the vet has prescribed some baytril as a precaution. My dad is going to collect it and start her ASAP.

In terms of panacur I have a couple questions.

Treat both buns is obvious, do I treat them both for 28 days?

Deep clean on day 21 & 28 including all blankets, throw out anything I can't clean etc?

Any forage that may help to increase her immune system, even slightly?

I'm glad she is doing better, taking feeds well & started on abx. My vet just said really good hygiene at all times, hot wash ok for bedding - she didn't go with the 21 + 28 day thing but it can't hurt.

Golden rod is flowering now - that is suppossed to be a good tonic although my bunnies not huge fans they will eat it. Echinacea ? I'd feed lots of dandelions as their diuretic effects will help keep her system flushed.

Back