Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scent glands

Default Scent glands

So the scent glands either side of the rabbits bottom, Jasmine is a white rabbit and I noticed while my partner had picked her up for whatever reason a 'black bit' near her bottom. When I looked it was her scent gland which was obviously full as I spotted it from a distance. It cleaned very easily, the other side you could also see some material in there which I cleaned out. It was quite dark and fairly solid. I checked against Jake's, which looked ok. You had to open the slit slightly on his and the material was more brown and waxy as I read its supposed to be, although both of his did get a gentle clean.

Some websites say checking/cleaning the scent glands should be part of a routine check, others say they only need a clean when it's a bit of a red flag to other problems. What do you think? I do have slight concerns over Jasmine's mobility, which she is at the vets for next week so will mention it then also, I've seen her walking rather than hopping on occasion and she seems to be slipping on the lino quite often. I've only ever cleaned the scent glands on a previous bunny when she got older and had arthritis and spondylosis so wasn't very mobile.

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I'll be interested in replies. Personally I check them all except Boo (who will absolutely not let me look) very irregularly about once a year. Rudeys needed his cleaning every month, I think I'll start checking Mouse more although for an arthritic bun she does keep herself beautifully clean.

Is that musky smell of bunny boy poo related to scent glands?

Wise Old Thumper

Healthy mobile Bunnies should not need help cleaning their scent glands.

Dental Rabbits and Rabbits with arthritis may do. As may very wobbly (from EC etc) Bunnies.

It's a good idea to incorporate a scent gland check into the daily bum checks though, especially in the hot weather

Just a heads up that sometimes cleaning the scent glands of just one Bunny in a bonded pair/group can cause a bit of a fracas when Bunny is put back with their partner (s). It should settle down quickly, but It's a good idea to keep an eye on bond dynamics for a while x
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

I've got to be honest, I've never done this, and wouldn't know where or what I'm looking for Don't think Treacle would be too happy me poking around her nether regions
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by Pets mum View Post
    I've got to be honest, I've never done this, and wouldn't know where or what I'm looking for Don't think Treacle would be too happy me poking around her nether regions
    theres a youtube video for everything these days

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Pets mum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    theres a youtube video for everything these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x9dbSUdomg

I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Oh ok thanks both, will take a look

Thank you all Interesting about their bond! Will definitely ask the vet. I imagine the scent glands are related to their poop smell, I actually like the smell of rabbit scent glands Just smells minty to me!! Partner who was holding bunnies was not a fan

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Liz47 View Post
    Thank you all Interesting about their bond! Will definitely ask the vet. I imagine the scent glands are related to their poop smell, I actually like the smell of rabbit scent glands Just smells minty to me!! Partner who was holding bunnies was not a fan
    So do I !!

Rather than make a new thread thought I'd just continue this one if that's okay, as I came here looking for advice on this today.

My 10 year old small breed rabbit has some black lumps, hard and dried up in that area. In what case should we be removing it? She's mobile enough but is slowing down. Is black and hard no good, and better to leave it when it's soft and brown? I can check regularly, but don't know what I should be removing and what I should leave her with. Thanks.