• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scent glands

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
So the scent glands either side of the rabbits bottom, Jasmine is a white rabbit and I noticed while my partner had picked her up for whatever reason a 'black bit' near her bottom. When I looked it was her scent gland which was obviously full as I spotted it from a distance. It cleaned very easily, the other side you could also see some material in there which I cleaned out. It was quite dark and fairly solid. I checked against Jake's, which looked ok. You had to open the slit slightly on his and the material was more brown and waxy as I read its supposed to be, although both of his did get a gentle clean.

Some websites say checking/cleaning the scent glands should be part of a routine check, others say they only need a clean when it's a bit of a red flag to other problems. What do you think? I do have slight concerns over Jasmine's mobility, which she is at the vets for next week so will mention it then also, I've seen her walking rather than hopping on occasion and she seems to be slipping on the lino quite often. I've only ever cleaned the scent glands on a previous bunny when she got older and had arthritis and spondylosis so wasn't very mobile.

I'll be interested in replies. Personally I check them all except Boo (who will absolutely not let me look) very irregularly about once a year. Rudeys needed his cleaning every month, I think I'll start checking Mouse more although for an arthritic bun she does keep herself beautifully clean.

Is that musky smell of bunny boy poo related to scent glands?

Healthy mobile Bunnies should not need help cleaning their scent glands.

Dental Rabbits and Rabbits with arthritis may do. As may very wobbly (from EC etc) Bunnies.

It's a good idea to incorporate a scent gland check into the daily bum checks though, especially in the hot weather :)

Just a heads up that sometimes cleaning the scent glands of just one Bunny in a bonded pair/group can cause a bit of a fracas when Bunny is put back with their partner (s). It should settle down quickly, but It's a good idea to keep an eye on bond dynamics for a while x

I've got to be honest, I've never done this, and wouldn't know where or what I'm looking for :? Don't think Treacle would be too happy me poking around her nether regions :roll:

I've got to be honest, I've never done this, and wouldn't know where or what I'm looking for :? Don't think Treacle would be too happy me poking around her nether regions :roll:

theres a youtube video for everything these days;)

Thank you all :) Interesting about their bond! Will definitely ask the vet. I imagine the scent glands are related to their poop smell, I actually like the smell of rabbit scent glands :oops: Just smells minty to me!! Partner who was holding bunnies was not a fan :lol:

Thank you all :) Interesting about their bond! Will definitely ask the vet. I imagine the scent glands are related to their poop smell, I actually like the smell of rabbit scent glands :oops: Just smells minty to me!! Partner who was holding bunnies was not a fan :lol:

So do I !! :lol:

Rather than make a new thread thought I'd just continue this one if that's okay, as I came here looking for advice on this today.

My 10 year old small breed rabbit has some black lumps, hard and dried up in that area. In what case should we be removing it? She's mobile enough but is slowing down. Is black and hard no good, and better to leave it when it's soft and brown? I can check regularly, but don't know what I should be removing and what I should leave her with. Thanks.

Rather than make a new thread thought I'd just continue this one if that's okay, as I came here looking for advice on this today.

My 10 year old small breed rabbit has some black lumps, hard and dried up in that area. In what case should we be removing it? She's mobile enough but is slowing down. Is black and hard no good, and better to leave it when it's soft and brown? I can check regularly, but don't know what I should be removing and what I should leave her with. Thanks.

The black, hard lumps are what Jasmine's looked like so I would clean those out. I read its supposed to be brown and waxy like, but if you can obviously see something down there without too much investigating I'd give it a gentle clean. :)

Thank you, I will do then 🙂 I had a quick look at our foster rabbit who isn't a year old yet and in good health so I know what it's meant to be like in comparison. My poor rabbits!! 🤣

Back