• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike

lil860

Warren Scout
Ive just had to sadly have my 4yr old guinea pig Bonnie put to sleep due to flystrike. Most heartbreaking thing ive ever seen. Vet said there was nothing i could of done to save her.😔 She was fine last night tucking into her veg and greeting me at the cage bars. Her 3 cage mates are absolutely fine lively and doing what piggies do. Ive checked them all over and disenfected cage.
Vet said she may of been ill and the flys knew this and took advantage.
I also have a rabbit and she is absolutely fine just trimmed her skirt to keep it short.
Now im petrified that its going to happen again. Ive kept animals for years and this is the first time its ever happened.
They live in a large outdoor shed. Ive hung fly papers and left a huge spider in there too.
Is there anything else i can do.
Its heartbreaking to loose a pet they are like my fur children. I know i did what was best for Bonnie and she had the best life possible with me.
I just wanted to chat with people who "understand" Thank you

Ive just had to sadly have my 4yr old guinea pig Bonnie put to sleep due to flystrike. Most heartbreaking thing ive ever seen. Vet said there was nothing i could of done to save her.😔 She was fine last night tucking into her veg and greeting me at the cage bars. Her 3 cage mates are absolutely fine lively and doing what piggies do. Ive checked them all over and disenfected cage.
Vet said she may of been ill and the flys knew this and took advantage.
I also have a rabbit and she is absolutely fine just trimmed her skirt to keep it short.
Now im petrified that its going to happen again. Ive kept animals for years and this is the first time its ever happened.
They live in a large outdoor shed. Ive hung fly papers and left a huge spider in there too.
Is there anything else i can do.
Its heartbreaking to loose a pet they are like my fur children. I know i did what was best for Bonnie and she had the best life possible with me.
I just wanted to chat with people who "understand" Thank you

I am very sorry for your loss :cry: Flystrike can kill in a matter of hours :cry:

Things that need to be done to minimise the risk is daily cleaning out of all soiled bedding, preferably a full clean out every day.

Bum checks should be done at least twice a day every day

Rabbits/GPs with known health problems which may mean they are not able to groom themselves too well will need extra special observation. Clipping long fur from around the bum/genitals/under-carriage will help.

Some people use preparations such as F10 Insecticidal Wound Spray or Rearguard to try to offer additional protection, but neither are a substitute for A* husbandry.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/F10-Produc...WPlU8UkH7ZxjKPl6lz3WQquSzQgD8rJBoC360QAvD_BwE

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/rearguard-25ml

Fly netting over the animal's accommodation can be used, along with using electronic fly zappers/fly papers/citronella

Some additional information here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...t=They can eat into your,in a very short time.

RIP Bonnie :cry:

Thank you. She was long haired and regularly clipped short and checked.
Vet said he thinks she may of been unwell i know they do hide illesses well. Also it literally could of happened overnight. I just have to accept i did everything i could for her. But that will take time.

I'm really sorry that you have lost little Bonnie, and can't add to the advice already given. Sweet dreams Bonnie xx

I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you and little Bonnie, flystrike can happen so quickly. It sounds like you did everything right and that it was just something really unfortunate. Rest in peace Bonnie x

Back