• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Low calcium greens

Steve m

Young Bun
Hi there just wondering what people would recommend for our buns daily greens that are low in calcium and readily available? Just looking to mix it up to avoid boredom

Hi there just wondering what people would recommend for our buns daily greens that are low in calcium and readily available? Just looking to mix it up to avoid boredom

This chart provides information on calcium content of various foods given to rabbits. For a healthy rabbit I personally don't think it's necessary to focus too much on calcium content, but I do think it's important to provide a variety each day. If you can access it and can identify it, forage also is a good option especially in the Summer months when it's plentiful. I also feed tree leaves from trees which rabbits are allowed to eat, eg Apple, Pear, Hazel, Hawthorn and Willow. Bramble leaves are also an excellent food for rabbits.

Sorry, forgot the chart :oops: https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

Last edited:
or as an alternative to greens, mine like raw swede. cheap too!
and corn on the cob keeps them occupied. I just expose a small amount of the corn so they have to work at it.

What do you want your bunnies veg to be low in calcium?

Too much calcium is bad for buns so looking for something to vary diet

A healthy rabbit can cope with high calcium foods and excrete the excess calcium through urine. So, unless you know that your rabbit has problem with metabolising calcium then high calcium greens shouldn't be a concern.

The main thing with calcium (especially for rabbits with urinary tract issues) is that they get fluids along with the calcium to help flush it out.

A healthy rabbit can cope with high calcium foods and excrete the excess calcium through urine. So, unless you know that your rabbit has problem with metabolising calcium then high calcium greens shouldn't be a concern.

The main thing with calcium (especially for rabbits with urinary tract issues) is that they get fluids along with the calcium to help flush it out.

I agree. Its really important they get enough calcium for healthy bones & teeth. They don't store calcium like we would so need an ongoing supply. In a healthy rabbit I'd worry far more about not enough calcium rather than too much. In a renally compromised rabbit they still need the calcium but if its an excessive amount the kidneys can't process it effectively so the build up can lead to problems, as BB fluids is key with this to help the kidneys do their work

So when you see white wee that is the excess calcium? Don't see it on a daily basis though

yes the white wee is calcium. I lost a rabbit to kidney failure 3 months ago, his wee was totally clear - never good for a bun. Its good your bun is weeing out the excess. Being active & slim helps any sediment in the bladder move around so these are good things to aim for with urinary tract health. If it was every wee maybe you could cut back on the high calcium veg & supplement with fresh forage (which tends to be medium range) but to me it all sounds hunky dory

This chart provides information on calcium content of various foods given to rabbits. For a healthy rabbit I personally don't think it's necessary to focus too much on calcium content, but I do think it's important to provide a variety each day. If you can access it and can identify it, forage also is a good option especially in the Summer months when it's plentiful. I also feed tree leaves from trees which rabbits are allowed to eat, eg Apple, Pear, Hazel, Hawthorn and Willow. Bramble leaves are also an excellent food for rabbits.

Sorry, forgot the chart :oops: https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

Thanks for link!

How hard is your water? You could switch to a low calcium bottled water, like Volvic or Tesco Ashbeck.

Unless you have been advised by a vet to limit a rabbit's calcium intake, you don't need to restrict their diet. Rabbits need a regular supply of dietary calcium as their teeth continue to grow throughout their life. Excess is excreted in the urine, so you may sometimes see milky urine - this is normal. Ensuring that they take in sufficient fluids (eg water in a bowl rather than a bottle, fresh greens rather than dried) will keep the bladder free from sediments (to avoid bladder stones). Exercise is also important, as this also helps to avoid sludge build up in the bladder.

There are a few interesting pages with the harcourt-brown link that Omi posted.

Never thought about hard water. They have one bottle and two water bowls between them. Got combined hutch length 14th plus run the length of the garage so plenty of exercise room

Back