Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low calcium greens

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    So when you see white wee that is the excess calcium? Don't see it on a daily basis though
    yes the white wee is calcium. I lost a rabbit to kidney failure 3 months ago, his wee was totally clear - never good for a bun. Its good your bun is weeing out the excess. Being active & slim helps any sediment in the bladder move around so these are good things to aim for with urinary tract health. If it was every wee maybe you could cut back on the high calcium veg & supplement with fresh forage (which tends to be medium range) but to me it all sounds hunky dory

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    This chart provides information on calcium content of various foods given to rabbits. For a healthy rabbit I personally don't think it's necessary to focus too much on calcium content, but I do think it's important to provide a variety each day. If you can access it and can identify it, forage also is a good option especially in the Summer months when it's plentiful. I also feed tree leaves from trees which rabbits are allowed to eat, eg Apple, Pear, Hazel, Hawthorn and Willow. Bramble leaves are also an excellent food for rabbits.

Sorry, forgot the chart https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...nd-rabbit-food
    Thanks for link!

How hard is your water? You could switch to a low calcium bottled water, like Volvic or Tesco Ashbeck.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Bruno hamster

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    Have ordered from hoptoforage some birch and apple leaves see how they go!
    ah, my 2 love apple leaves. plum leaves too.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

if you're reading this it's too late

Mama Doe

Unless you have been advised by a vet to limit a rabbit's calcium intake, you don't need to restrict their diet. Rabbits need a regular supply of dietary calcium as their teeth continue to grow throughout their life. Excess is excreted in the urine, so you may sometimes see milky urine - this is normal. Ensuring that they take in sufficient fluids (eg water in a bowl rather than a bottle, fresh greens rather than dried) will keep the bladder free from sediments (to avoid bladder stones). Exercise is also important, as this also helps to avoid sludge build up in the bladder.

There are a few interesting pages with the harcourt-brown link that Omi posted.

Never thought about hard water. They have one bottle and two water bowls between them. Got combined hutch length 14th plus run the length of the garage so plenty of exercise room