Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low calcium greens

Default Low calcium greens

Hi there just wondering what people would recommend for our buns daily greens that are low in calcium and readily available? Just looking to mix it up to avoid boredom

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    Hi there just wondering what people would recommend for our buns daily greens that are low in calcium and readily available? Just looking to mix it up to avoid boredom
    This chart provides information on calcium content of various foods given to rabbits. For a healthy rabbit I personally don't think it's necessary to focus too much on calcium content, but I do think it's important to provide a variety each day. If you can access it and can identify it, forage also is a good option especially in the Summer months when it's plentiful. I also feed tree leaves from trees which rabbits are allowed to eat, eg Apple, Pear, Hazel, Hawthorn and Willow. Bramble leaves are also an excellent food for rabbits.

Sorry, forgot the chart https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...nd-rabbit-food
    Last edited by Omi; 04-08-2020 at 10:27 AM.

The darker and leafier the greens, the higher the calcium, as a general rule.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Bruno hamster

or as an alternative to greens, mine like raw swede. cheap too!
    and corn on the cob keeps them occupied. I just expose a small amount of the corn so they have to work at it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

if you're reading this it's too late

What do you want your bunnies veg to be low in calcium?

Too much calcium is bad for buns so looking for something to vary diet

Too much calcium is bad for buns so looking for something to vary diet
    A healthy rabbit can cope with high calcium foods and excrete the excess calcium through urine. So, unless you know that your rabbit has problem with metabolising calcium then high calcium greens shouldn't be a concern.

The main thing with calcium (especially for rabbits with urinary tract issues) is that they get fluids along with the calcium to help flush it out.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Have ordered from hoptoforage some birch and apple leaves see how they go!

So when you see white wee that is the excess calcium? Don't see it on a daily basis though

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    A healthy rabbit can cope with high calcium foods and excrete the excess calcium through urine. So, unless you know that your rabbit has problem with metabolising calcium then high calcium greens shouldn't be a concern.

The main thing with calcium (especially for rabbits with urinary tract issues) is that they get fluids along with the calcium to help flush it out.
    I agree. Its really important they get enough calcium for healthy bones & teeth. They don't store calcium like we would so need an ongoing supply. In a healthy rabbit I'd worry far more about not enough calcium rather than too much. In a renally compromised rabbit they still need the calcium but if its an excessive amount the kidneys can't process it effectively so the build up can lead to problems, as BB fluids is key with this to help the kidneys do their work