• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice on setting up the outdoor hutch

Rackeluk

Warren Scout
Hi, so since Lily moved in with Max we’ve had litter training issues, Lily will basically just go wherever she is, Max has decided that he wants to use the spare hutch as a toilet, I’ve been cleaning out fully daily due to this.
I decided that I would make a change, I cleaned the hutches out and play a playmat down on the floors on the hutch, moved a large litter tray to the bottom of the hutch with a hay feeder over it, I’ve been in this morning and whilst there are many poo’s there are no wee patches, the only thing now though is that I didn’t put any bedding hay down upstairs over the playmat, should I be putting hay over the playmat upstairs?

What I was thinking of doing...I have two shelters within the top of the hutch I was thinking of moving them out and putting a basket in with a pet bed in (waterproof), and I’ve seen litter trays that have feeders on them, I was going to get one and put that upstairs, I don’t want to give them less space upstairs though...

What would you suggest? How do you set your hutches up?

In my 2-tier hutches I have a litter tray up and one down, no hay anywhere else or they will toilet on it. In my Playhouses or 6' hutches there is one big litter tray. I use underbed storage boxes.

In my 2-tier hutches I have a litter tray up and one down, no hay anywhere else or they will toilet on it. In my Playhouses or 6' hutches there is one big litter tray. I use underbed storage boxes.

What do you use for their bedding area?

I've got the same arrangement in my hutch of an underbed storage box upstairs and downstairs with a fleece blanket in the top as well. Don't have a bedding area as I removed the divider to create more room.

What do you use for their bedding area?
I use nothing: they sleep wherever they fancy, on the bare lino in the playhouse, outside or in the under-run of the tiny hutch on the concrete, on the windowsill (carpeted), sometimes in litter trays, sometimes on the cage-bar floor of the dog crate, sometimes on the bricks. I used to 'bed' the hutch when Lopsy was alone and it was all we had but gave up when I got a bigger litter tray, and he didn't seem to care either way.

Back